6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2012 7:04 AM by davehob

Import - fields skipped

davehob

When doing a data import, the summary tells me that "9 fields were skipped due to errors". I can see that data has been imported to all fields in some records, so I'm now left wondering which records have had which fields skipped. I can't find a log file. Is there a way of finding out?

Thanks,

Dave.

• 1. Re: Import - fields skipped
          louisecalise

Hi Dave, 

I feel your pain - this happens when I upload a file.  And when I upload there are usually more than 200 records with about 25 fields for each.  Not having a log file for those that were accepted, or an error file for those not makes doing verification very time consuming.  If you find a solution, I would really appreciate you're sharing it.

Thanks,

Louise

• 2. Re: Import - fields skipped
            karendweaver

Hi Dave

Are you importing to FileMaker server?  Cause a desktop import does generate an import log for sure.  If you are importing to server, I am not sure where the log is and I am on my way out the door so I don't have time to look right now - but I would start with the server logs - assuming you have logging turned on - have you checked those logs to see if there is any notation on the import?

Next - you could try importing only one record with every field having a test entry that you could then check against the imported file to see which one failed.

You could also try importing locally to the backup (cause you DID backup before importing, right?) - then check the local import log.  That should give you the info you are looking for.

But - the first place I would check anyway is any fields that have validation settings - those are often the culprit when importing -  validation fails and the field cannot be updated.

Hope that helps

Karen

• 3. Re: Import - fields skipped
              Stephen Huston

I suspect Karen has hit the real culprit. FM Imports will skip fields, sometimes whole records, where field validation on the incoming data fails the test.

The warning that it skipped things isn't a bug or error, it's a notification that your data could not be imported because it failed to meet the requirements for data in that table.

• 4. Re: Import - fields skipped
                davehob

Karen,

Thanks for this.  I'm actually doing the import locally as a test (or, to be precise, the files are located on the server, but I'm doing the import via FMP on the local machine), but still can't see a log file.  Where should it be?

Dave.

• 5. Re: Import - fields skipped
                  karendweaver

Hi Dave,

That's not what I meant by local.  What I meant was, the file you are importing INTO is on the local machine.  Then FileMaker puts an import log in the folder of the file you are importing into.  That's why I suggested you try putting a backup on the local machine and redo your import into it there - you'll get an import log file that gives a lot of info on what happens.  At least, that is what I get on my Mac -  haven't tested on PC but pretty sure it is the same.

It doesn't work that way on the server, but I am thinking it probably could log the info somewhere - I couldn't find anything in the help files and I haven't had time to test - but I will do an import on a server today that I can use to look for logs - will tell you what I find if anything.

Karen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Import - fields skipped
                    davehob

Thanks Karen - that makes sense, and I'll re-do the import to a local table, to track down the culprits.

I appreciate your help (again!).

Dave.