6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 9:32 AM by comment

Printing to PDF how many is too many pages for FM?

LauraZ.

Hello,

I have a client who prints out a sizable publication annually, and it is of listings which will exist in the database, when we get that far. Already, I have set up in the database the report which shows the sorted listings (sample data) the way they asked, and they can print that report to PDF.

I had talked with them about their printing house and what form will be required by them etc., and in the end I offered them what looked like a very promising and reasonably priced plugin that would take an export in Excel or .tab and turn it into InDesign or Quark or something they were familiar with. Then, they suddenly backed off on that and put it off.

Now, I just got a series of edits for the report (which was really meant for other purposes and a demo), and I feel that they are becoming enamored of the Print to PDF out of FM, and may want to try to print their book this way.

Before I tell them that's not a good idea, I wanted to check with you all to see if there are actually limits or limitations to Print to PDF from FM when looking at a sizable final product, like several hundred pages?

Thank you for your feedback,

Laura Z.

• 1. Re: Printing to PDF how many is too many pages for FM?
          Stephen Huston

I've done several hundred pages without any problem, though most of my PDF outputs have been under 100pp.

There was a glitch back a couple of versions where everything beyond 20-something pages went wonky, but it got fixed. Since then I've never seen it fail, but have never tried 300+ pages, just haven't had the need...

So I just now opened a 4420 record table with a single-page layout full of data and printed to PDF using FileMaker 11's Save to PDF menu (not a PDF driver or OS-level command).

It took about 3 minutes and everything is fine!  All 4420 pages, no errors browser randomly right to the end.

Go for it!

It did create a 22 MB PDF, which I suspect is large for what it contains, but that can be optimized later if necessary.

• 2. Re: Printing to PDF how many is too many pages for FM?
            LauraZ.

Oh this does sound good! Yes, I remember the glitchy version, and wasn't sure *how* fixed it might be.

Thank you for your encouraging response!

Laura Z.

• 3. Re: Printing to PDF how many is too many pages for FM?
              comment

Laura Zantzinger wrote:

I feel that they are becoming enamored of the Print to PDF out of FM, and may want to try to print their book this way.

This is something for your client to consider, not necessarily for you: they should ask their printers to check and approve the resulting PDF. Not all PDFs are created the same, and there are some specific requirements for professional printing that the FMP-produced PDF may or may not have.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Printing to PDF how many is too many pages for FM?
                cssigi

"This is something for your client to consider, not necessarily for you: they should ask their printers to check and approve the resulting PDF. Not all PDFs are created the same, and there are some specific requirements for professional printing that the FMP-produced PDF may or may not have."

This is good advice.

We've  seen some ... "interesting" results from clients in similar situations.

• 5. Re: Printing to PDF how many is too many pages for FM?
                  Stephen Huston

I hae also seen FM-generated PDFs which were far from optimized.

However, if your client has basic PDF awareness and a FULL copy of Acrobat (not just the reader), they can take the FM-PDF and run it through Acrobat to refine the file, optimizing images, fonts, etc. Even changing the PDF compliance type so that the prinbter gets waht they want, if they will tell you which version of PDF they want to receive. I've never had a a printer reject  PDF just because it started in FileMaker, though I have had to go into Acrobat to adjust a few.

It's still a lot easier method than exporting data from FM to have some other program process into a PDF.

• 6. Re: Printing to PDF how many is too many pages for FM?
                    comment

Stephen Huston wrote:

they can take the FM-PDF and run it through Acrobat to refine the file

I am not entirely convinced ALL requirements can be achieved just by "running the file through Acrobat". Specifically, things like font types and font embedding, the color space and resolution of bit-mapped images, etc. come to mind.