7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2012 7:20 PM by LyndsayHowarth

Import records problem fm 9 and server 9

tonyfmp

Hi

I have a major problem with a system I have developed. Over the last 2 years it has been working fine, but recently the import records routine has stopped working, but only on 3 pc's out of about 10. They appear to import records ( from a dbf file) ok but no data comes in. Running from another pc and the records come in fine. Using FM9 and Server 9. All PC's are running windows XP.

Tony

• 1. Re: Import records problem fm 9 and server 9
          LyndsayHowarth

What's changed? It must be something...

-Lyndsay

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Import records problem fm 9 and server 9
            tonyfmp

Hi Lyndsay

Thanks for replying.

Well this is the strange thing, I'm am assured, nothing has changed. I have a feeling it started on one of the machines first, then the other 2. If it was something to do with windows updates, all Machines would be affected. I am just wondering if they have a lot of windows programs open, memory may be an issue, grasping at straws though. I have got licenced versions of FM 10, so I might install that on one of them to see if that makes a difference. The only other thing is that one of their network switches was causing some problems last year, but FileMaker had no trouble reaching the server during that period!

Tony

• 3. Re: Import records problem fm 9 and server 9
              Stephen Huston

Hi Tony,

I'm with Lyndsay on this one: something has changed. The assurance that nothing has changed is not really assuring at all. Some misc ideas:

• Do all of the client machine accounts still have read permission to the source file directory?
              • What is the source file?
              • There was a version of FMP a while back which didn't support DBF exports, and may not have worked  with DBF imports. (Try installing a free demo of FMP11 on one of the problem machines and see if it can import from this source? If so, explore the version issues with DBF.)
              • Are they all connected via LAN, or are some of them using WiFi or other WAN-type connections?
              • Were the 3 machines with problems all working on these same network connections before, or are they new additions to the network, or using new networking configurations in any way?
              • Have the IP addresses of any of the machines been changed by IT?

Hope we get a clue from somewhere about what changed.

Stephen Huston

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Import records problem fm 9 and server 9
                tonyfmp

Well, I am now confused even more, I told them to tidy up their desktops (Littered with files and old imports) and it now works again. As the Import was an Update and add script, I am wondering if they were Importing the latest Import, which they say they were (The import comes by email, which they saved to rheir desktop then imported. Thanks for your help, i will keep an eye on it for a while, and if it happens again I will update to FM10.

Tony

• 5. Re: Import records problem fm 9 and server 9
                  Stephen Huston

Yep, if they're importing from a local file, having multiple source files on the same local disk can spell trouble.

• 6. Re: Import records problem fm 9 and server 9
                    tonyfmp

yes i agree, but they had renamed each file with a new name as they saved them, the import script requires them to locate the file they want to import. Anyway lets hope that this is the end of the problem. We live in hope!!

Tony

• 7. Re: Import records problem fm 9 and server 9
                      LyndsayHowarth

Yes... if the file they last imported is still on the desktop, it may be that FMP is attempting to import this again...

These problems are always difficult to troubleshoot as people lie... sometimes without even knowing.

You might try adding to the script to capture the last imported file's name and overwrite it with an empty export... so that they can't leave the imported file on the desktop.

Glad it is working again...

- Lyndsay