1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2012 10:56 AM by kristybergland

Next year's location...

cssigi

Every year at Devcon we have a betting pool on the next year's location. So I was wondering where devcon'ers would like to see next year?

The past few locations were San Diego, San Franciso, Phoenix, Orlando, Palm Springs, etc.

Some of the repeat entries in our pool each year include Seattle, Denver, Chicago, Atlanta, New Orleans and the  annual favorite - Las Vegas.

There is consensus that Vegas is probably being avoided because us developers might get "lost" on the way to the sessions.

I'm partial to the northwest myself and summer in Seattle is about the best weather you can have - but Denver would be more centrally located.

• 1. Re: Next year's location...
          jrenfrew

We have some quite lovely locations in the UK

There are also some quite lovely locations in the sun & near the sea in that place we like to call Europe.

I'm partial to not spending all tha time on a plane. Maybe some others could do it instead.

• 2. Re: Next year's location...
            cssigi

Heh - I'd have absolutely no problem with England or Europe but I suspect that hundreds of gov't agencies and employers of developers on this side of the Atlantic would not approve overseas travel for anythinng!

I know the last P/on/Error was held in London in October.

I remember at the height of MacWorld expo - there used to be one in Paris. Ah - that would have been nice.

• 3. Re: Next year's location...
              jormond

I wonder what the chances of good, old Rochester, NY, USA might be. lol

• 4. Re: Next year's location...
                TimAnderson

I second John's vote for the UK or mainland Europe but know it'll never happen. Probably going to have to give it a miss in 2012 because of expense and 'non earning' time.

How about Boston or Washington DC for 2013?

• 5. Re: Next year's location...
                  mrwatson-gbs

Plus one from me, he he :-)

"over there"  (aka Europe) it's not so bad as some(*) make out.

We can dream can't we?

(*) Jonathan Coulton in "Over There" on album "Smoking Monkey"

• 6. Re: Next year's location...
                    RayCologon

One good thing about the variety of locations is that going in successive years, one acquires a degree of familiarity with various different cities and states, and I enjoy that. It's also one of the things that leads to my personal preference for city-based (rather than resort-based) conference venues.

I know that the San Francisco location was not universally aclaimed, and the layout of the hotel was part of the reason for that. But being in the heart of the city was great and enriched the experience. Last year's location close to the center of San Diego had some of the same advantages IMO.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 7. Re: Next year's location...
                      cssigi

Totally agree with Ray

The resort locations like Phoenix and Orlando were nice hotels but didn't offer many options after hours and if you bookended your stay with a few days. Can't beat the "lazy river" pool for an evening networking session - but they'd shoo you out before sunset.

The SF devcon was also my favorite location and people wise but the hotel layout was difficult for an event like devcon and people got frustrated - esp. first timers.

I think it would be cool to go north next year - Seattle, Denver - Chicago or Boston.

• 8. Re: Next year's location...
                        Heine

I think that San Francisco AND San Diego were both superb. I was familiar with San Francisco already, since I had been there on vacation twice earlier.

As Ray says, "one acquires a degree of familiarity with various different cities and states". I couldn't agree more.

I have never been to Miami before, so I'm really looking forward to that, and I'm studying Google Maps like crazy right now, trying to figure out what's what  ...

Hope to see you all there!!!

/Heine

• 9. Re: Next year's location...
                          fmpros

Well, if there's still time to get in a request...San Antonio or Austin, TX.

Great nightlife, airport access, convention centers, plenty of fantastic

things to do / events area, lots of waterparks, rivers, museums, etc.

My preference would be San Antonio which has the wonderful River Walk

and a very nice convention center.

Bill

• 10. Re: Next year's location...
                            beverly

+1 for Austin/San Antonio.

Beverly

Well, if there's still time to get in a request...San Antonio or Austin, TX.

Great nightlife, airport access, convention centers, plenty of fantastic

things to do / events area, lots of waterparks, rivers, museums, etc.

My preference would be San Antonio which has the wonderful River Walk

and a very nice convention center.

Bill

• 11. Re: Next year's location...
                              beckettsolutions

With the rapid growth of Filemaker Go, definitely need to up the celebrations, i'd say it's time for Vegas

• 12. Re: Next year's location...
                                mikeinhawaii

Repeat after me:  Honolulu, Honolulu, Honolulu, ..  Or Maui, or Kauai.  All good, and then I won't have to empty my pockets with travel fare.  

• 13. Re: Next year's location...
                                  MarcDolley

Forget the UK and Europe. Weather's miserable.

Next years' DevCon should head down under to Australia. We'll happily throw a shrimp on the barbie.

The flight might be horrendous but the weather, breathtaking scenery, fabulous beaches and friendly people make it all worthwhile.

Marc

• 14. Re: Next year's location...
                                    MichaelDolley

That could work. Closer and cheaper for Australian/New Zealand devs

1 2 Previous Next