mrcrister

Scheduling Solution

Discussion created by mrcrister on Mar 25, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 by woozie

I am in the process of developing a FMP solution for my University's new student orientation program. It primarily stores team member information and allows for assigning them to various assignments with varying start and finish times as well as dates throughout the weekend. At this point when the user wishes to assign team members to a particular assignment a list appears with arrows to click. When the user clicks on the arrow that team member is scheduled to the assignment and disappears from the list of possible team members to prevent double scheduling with the same assignment.

Unfortunatly there are many different assignments, many which conflict time wise with each other. What I would like to do is restrict the list of available team members to those who do not have any assignments within the time range of the current assignment on the screen.

Team members (hereafter people) are scheduled to assignments using a join table (records that store Assignment ID and Person ID). All the time data is stored solely in the Assignment record although I'm wondering if it is possible to have a calculation that evaluates time ranges of unavailability and be able to filter out those who are not available in the portal. Originally I thought of making specific time ranges but things got too complicated for that and the solution we have not is the best option. I do have a workaround (opening another window to see a list of that team member's assignments) but it isn't ideal and leaves too much room for error.

If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Outcomes