2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 10:13 AM by Stephen Huston

Merging multiple databases with different data into one database for FileMaker Go deployment

jl2012

I was wondering if there is a round about way to do this. Currently I have one database that I use as my main database. I have buttons which link to external databases (basically open the databases in a new window). I would like for FileMaker Go deployment to be able to open everything within one database. I have tried to set up tabs, but run into an issue with my records. Considering I have different data for each database, the tab solution doesn't seem to work. Is this even possible or am I dreaming?

• 1. Re: Merging multiple databases with different data into one database for FileMaker Go deployment
          mrwatson-gbs

Hi,

sure it's possible to have multiple tables in one DB, and references to multiple external DBs, so...

A. I assume you have different information in the different databases?

A1. If you want to HOST the GO database:

You could

1. create a NEW database (it doesn't need to have any of it's own tables),
          2. create file references to your existing databases,
          3. create table occurences to each of the tables in the referenced databases that you wish to have in your GO database,
          4. create a layout (or multiple layouts if necessary)  for each of the tables,
          5. if you want your own navigation between the layouts: create navigation buttons to jump to layout.

A2. If you don't want to host the table, but want a GO-DB 'to go', then you need to create copies of the tables in the file, and then import data.

B. And if you have similar tables in the two databases, that you want to merge into one ... then maybe you are doing something wrong?...

If you really have to, then you could create a new DB, import the table into the DB, then write a script to import the data from the 2 DBs into the table, merging entries as neccessary.

does that help?

Greeting from Hamburg, DE

MrWatson

• 2. Re: Merging multiple databases with different data into one database for FileMaker Go deployment
            Stephen Huston

Specifically regarding the Tab issue:

Each layout must have one and only one base table, the data source for the records to be displayed. They can also display data from related records if the relationship exists in that file.

So tabs which use to fields from tables other than the base table of that layout must be both related to the base table of the layout, and meet at least one of these conditions:

1. be shown in in a portal, or
            2. show only the field value of the first related record. Which related record is first will depend on whether the relationship  itself is sorted or it defaults to the record-creation order for the related records.

One advantage of the 2nd option, is that you can create the first related record via these fields if you allow creation via the relationship, no portal required!