1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 4:42 PM by Stephen Huston

FileMaker Pro Size Limit?

my123questions

Hello,

We have a FileMaker Pro v5 Database that has been in existence for about 10 years now. To my knowledge no data has been archived off of it. I was wondering if we will hit a size limit on this file eventually? When this limit is hit, will it say so or will it just start operating "strangely"? Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro Size Limit?
          Stephen Huston

I definitely HAVE seen this very nasty problem. There is a 2 GB limit on file sizes for pre-7 FMP files.

When you hit that limit the file will quit. Done, you cannot open it again.

I have done lots of cleanup over the years for maxed-out pre-7 files. The solution when this happens is to have a clean clone of the file that you were clever enough to save before there were any problems (or it's too late!)

Then you take the 2-gig file that won't open, and convert it to a newer version of FMP/A7 or later. Then you figure out what to remove from the data to get the rest back under 2 GB. After removing that, export the remaining data to a different file format than FM so that the Clone of the pre-7 file can read it to import the data.

Don't let it catch you unprepared!