2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2012 3:21 PM by usbc

Default Layout Rules: do I need to pull a file off the server to change?

usbc

Hi,

FMSA (Windows) / FMPv11 (both Mac and Windows)

It appears that before any script can take hold, the file being served goes to a default layout for a moment and then proceeds to the layout called in the opening script.

Is this one of those cases where I need to take down the file and run it on a desktop client to change the default layout ? (OnFirstWindowOpen)

This matters because the current default layout (now) needs to be avoided because a Privledge Set (now being added) can not have access to it.

Thus users logging in via the new Priv Set get flashed with "No Access". It bothers them and they are the clients. Plus it is just wrong.

I can see that this question was asked (D. Terry) in the old archives forum but I can't find the punchline.

Thanks Chuck

• 1. Re: Default Layout Rules: do I need to pull a file off the server to change?
          ch0c0halic

Chuck may have been laid out flat by FM,

Yes. FMP always goes to the last layout used when opened locally by FMP/A (FileMaker Pro or Advanced). That does not mean the layout it was on when closed. §^=(

To set the 'startup layout' you can do this:

1. Close the file on FMS.

2. Open the file with FMP/A.

3. Change to the desired layout and position the window and size the window for the desired results.

I suggest creating a blank layout just for this purpose.

4. VERY IMPORTANT:

Do something to the file that changes a value or layout or field. Anything that REQUIRES FMP to save the file. Changing a windows position, size, current layout DO NOT require saving of the file. I suggest entering the define fields and changing a TO's position in the TO graph. or changing a field's comment.

Another suggestion:

In your last window closed script (File closed) add steps to go to your default layout and set up the window size and position. This way you don't have to remember to do it every time you take it off-line for development work/updates.

• 2. Re: Default Layout Rules: do I need to pull a file off the server to change?
            usbc

Thanks Mr. Choco,

The name has changed but I feel a familiar salutation, huh.

Chuck