4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 7:10 AM by aegis21

Scheduling a maintenance event

aegis21

I want to schedule a maintenance event from a prior record and have the frequency set by the user. ex. oil changed 3/1/12 auto generate a service ticket for a new oil change on 9/1/2012 Is this possible?

Thanks in Advance

John

• 1. Re: Scheduling a maintenance event
          BruceHerbach

The short answer is yes. When you complete the data entry and save the current maintenace event have a script create the next event.  You wil proaby need a field to indicate that an event is complete or pending. 

If you can provide more information about what you need it would be helpful.

HTH

Bruce

• 2. Re: Scheduling a maintenance event
            aegis21

Many Thanks Bruce,

So I need to have a "completed" field and then trigger a script off that field? And I will show my ignorance with this next question, How do I "save" the current maintenance event? I have been using an older version of FMP ver 7 until lately upgraded to 9 and I am still behind! Is there hope?

Thanks Again

John

• 3. Re: Scheduling a maintenance event
              BruceHerbach

Hi John,

In 9 the best way to do this may be determined by your work flow.  Create a script that will create the next event.  Then based on the last thing the user does on the screen showing the current event trigger the script.  Possibly the easiest thing is to add a "Finished" button. 

Have the script Commit the current record, 

freeze the window,

put the required information in to variables,

create the new record,

set the fields with the new information

Commit new record

navigate to the next screen.

You might want to consider upgrading to 11.  It includes script triggers.  Using a script trigger could make this be a bit more seemless.

HTH

Bruce

• 4. Re: Scheduling a maintenance event
                aegis21

Thanks Again Bruce! Great idea with the finish button!

Thanks

John