3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2012 3:55 AM by PowerSlave

Way to view changes made by users

danielle-gwa

FileMaker Forum,

I want to develop a system in my database that will allow me as the main administrator to see changes that are made by users. I would like to view that changes made if possibly what record was changed, what it was changed from and to. Also who made the change and what time.

Can anyone advise me on a way to do this? I looked online and came across a system called ultralog by ray coolgan but further research into this possible solution showed it to be quite expensive.

Thanks,

danielle-gwa

• 1. Re: Way to view changes made by users
          BowdenData

danielle-gwa wrote:

I would like to view that changes made if possibly what record was changed, what it was changed from and to. Also who made the change and what time.

...a system called ultralog by ray coolgan but further research into this possible solution showed it to be quite expensive.

Hi,

Ray replies to queries in here from time to time, but I am not aware of any cost to his solution. It is my understanding that he offered the technique as a free service to the FM community. I recently used the technique in a small solution and it works well. What information do you have that says otherwise? Have you contacted Ray about it?

Regards,

Doug de Stwolinska

• 2. Re: Way to view changes made by users
            danielle-gwa

Hi Doug de Stwolinska

How and where did you hear that this service was free to the FM community? I googled a solutiom and came across Ray's ultralog audit system at

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demosX/demoX01.html

The demo is free and then I sent an enquiry into using the ultralog system and I was told the price. Is this different than you own experience? If not do you have direct email of phone contact information for Ray Coolgan that I can further enquire into the service?

Thank you for your help

danielle-gwa

• 3. Re: Way to view changes made by users
              PowerSlave

I have been using Ray's ultralog for some time and I think from memory I spent around the $400 for the developers licence.

I now use ultralog in all of my soultions and it's nothing short of brilliant.

The developers licence allows you to distribute ultralog in your own solutions if you are selling them without having to pay royalties. There is also another licence option which I can't recall right now , but is cheaper.

$400 is money well worth spent for an essential thing to have in any Filemaker mission critical solution. You should give Ray a call , and he can point you in the right direction and give you some options.

I'm not sure where you're from , but if you call (your international dial code)  61 3 9016 3347 , you can usually talk to Ray. Remember though that this is Australia (Timezone difference applies!)

Cheers , Powerslave