7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2012 11:27 PM by reshma

.xls not supported on Mac Lion OS

reshma

Hi

In my application, I have Save Records as Excel script step. It ws working properly before, but now getting the message (attached in the file) since upgrading to lion and office for mac 2011.

So on forum they specified that lion OS not support .xls , so we have to change it to .xlsx. I have tried out that but it is not working. I am using Fm 9 Advance. Plese help.

• 1. Re: .xls not supported on Mac Lion OS
          sporobolus

on 2012-03-30 1:31 metasys wrote

So on forum they specified that lion OS not support .xls , so we have to change it to .xlsx. I have tried out that but it is not working. I am using Fm 9 Advance. Plese help.

it won't work with version 9; it sounds like you are just tacking on the .xlsx

extension hoping that would change the format, but starting with version 10 (i

believe) there was a pop-up menu with specific option for .xsls format in the

Save Records As Excel dialog box

• 2. Re: .xls not supported on Mac Lion OS
            Stephen Huston

Yes, you do need to specify the file type in the script step if it's run without dialog, or in the dialog box if you leave that open to the user (though XLS won't be an option there if you're already on Lion).

The XLS file format requires the installation of Mac's Rosetta functionality to save an XLS file, and Rosetta is not supported by Lion -- not even as an optional installation.

I have a huge system which had scripts for  hundred+ of  Excel.xls  reports. I ran a full-solution Database Design Report (DDR, FileMaker Advanced tool) for just the scripts, and then went through it searching on "xls" in the html content to quickly locate them all. Then I went into the files and reset the options in each such script I had found. It took several hours for a few hundred Excel scripts in over 60 files, but I got them all done before any of our users made the Lion upgrade.

Our accounting department, which is all Windows-based and using recent Excel version were thrilled not to have to convert old XLS files to XLSX anymore, as well.

Doing this after the Lion upgrade rather puts you under the gun, but it should remove the old XLS file option from the settings so you can't accidentally leave it selected once you start to change the dialog.

• 3. Re: .xls not supported on Mac Lion OS
              beverly

Reminder: Excel can open .htm tables if you can calculate (or export) this format.

and the browsers can read this, too. LOL!

Beverly

• 4. Re: .xls not supported on Mac Lion OS
                mbraendle

There is converter tool for older MS Office versions that allows to open the Open XML based .docx .xlsx and .pptx formats:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads?pid=Mactopia_AddTools

• 5. Re: .xls not supported on Mac Lion OS
                  reshma

Hi

thanks for your reply.

it won't work with version 9;

So we need Filemaker 10 or 11 to save the file in .xlsx format?

• 6. Re: .xls not supported on Mac Lion OS
                    Stephen Huston

Yes, version 10 was where support for XLSX was introduced.

See FileMaker's online Knowledge Base article 7069 for details. This certainly indicates XLSX will not export with version 9.

• 7. Re: .xls not supported on Mac Lion OS
                      reshma

Hi

Thanks to everyone for their help....:)