6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2012 10:55 AM by Charlie Bailey

Modifier keys stop working in layout mode

Charlie Bailey

I have run into this problem before and don't recall the solution. When in layout mode, shift dragging and option dragging objects has ceased to behave properly. It's as if the shift and/or option keys aren't even depressed. The problem appears to be isolated to FileMaker Pro and does not affect other applications (e.g. Option dragging a file in the finder behaves correctly).

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v4

OS X v10.7.3

Thanks,

- Charlie

• 1. Re: Modifier keys stop working in layout mode
          Stephen Huston

Are you trying to replicate a layout object by option-dragging it and it won't duplicate? Shift-dragging constrains the object's movement (not duplication) to strictly-horizontal/vertical movement. Does this not work for you in Lion? It works for me on 10.6.8 and FPA11v4.

This may be an unexpected change due to Lion. (Sorry, I don't have Lion computer with me for testing today.)

• 2. Re: Modifier keys stop working in layout mode
            Nicole

Hello Charlie,

I am running FMPA 11.0v4 on OS X v10.7.3 and do not have a problem with the modifier keys. However, when I have run into this problem previously, 10.6.8, I reset the keyboard and keyboard shortcuts preferences to default and restarted. If I had any specialty settings for any particular program, I wrote them down and reinstated them one at a time. I found that some of my Adobe Photoshop settings where messing up some of my other programs.

HTH

Nicole

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Modifier keys stop working in layout mode
              RayCologon

cbseven wrote:

The problem appears to be isolated to FileMaker Pro...

Hi Charlie,

Do you still encounter this problem if FileMaker is running with no plug-ins installed or enabled?

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Modifier keys stop working in layout mode
                Charlie Bailey

Thanks for the suggestions Nicole and Ray. I forgot to mention in my original post that this problem comes and goes over time. Nicole's suggestion of her conflict with Photoshop steered me towards looking for a combination of applications that can cause this behavior to appear. I have found that I can get the behavior to appear by launching Google Chrome and get it to disappear by quitting Google Chrome. The problem is not always there when Chrome is launched, but so far, I can always get the problem to go away by quitting Chrome.

I've got something to go on now and will post again if I discover anthing more specific.

Charlie Bailey

inRESONANCE

• 5. Re: Modifier keys stop working in layout mode
                  Charlie Bailey

Ray,

You were on the right track with the plug-ins idea, but it's not a FileMaker plug-in. It turns out that the "LastPass" extension for Chrome is the culprit. If I launch Chrome without the LastPass extension enabled, the modifier keys problem in layout mode does not appear; if the LastPass extension is enabled, the modfifier keys problem in layout mode rears its ugly head again.

Charlie Bailey

inRESONANCE

• 6. Re: Modifier keys stop working in layout mode
                    Charlie Bailey

Note that I can also get the LastPass extension for Firefox to cause this modifier keys issue in FileMaker as well. It appears that's its the LastPass authentication process itself that's causing the problem, possibly even related to the two factor authentication process that I'm using (Yubikey). This thread is getting rather obscure and I fear I'm headed down a rather large rabbit hole...

Charlie Bailey

inRESONANCE