AnsweredAssumed Answered

Jeff

Question asked by jmsecurity on Mar 31, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 4, 2012 by LyndsayHowarth

How do you change the user name in the general preferences through a script.

4-2-12 The issue I am attempting to resolve is that I designed an access program for a gated community. It is networked on a workgroup system having a server and 9 work stations. Workstation logon is by location, not an individual and the workstation may up for days with multiple users. I created a simple login script to access the FileMaker Program by individual names and would like to have the user name attached to each record as it is created and modified. The login script is shared along with the main program and after authenticating the user at the time of login, the information is released so the login script is available for the next user. The problem I have found is that I can attach the name of the computer logon name or the user name listed in the General Preferences but I cannot figure out how to carry the initial, specific user of a specific workstation, as identified with my login script, and attach it to the creation and modifications of the main program. I have thought that if I could put a temp file on the "C" drive of the specific workstation while the user is on the access FileMaker program, I could simply copy and paste it into the creation or modification records through a script. When I could not figure that out, I thought if I could change the name in the General Preferences, the problem would be easily solved.

I hope what I said makes since. Thanks

Jeff

Message was edited by: jmsecurity

Outcomes