11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2012 10:01 AM by Stephen Huston

use value from an other file in IWP

sigfrid

Hello there.

I'd like to create a value list using a list in an other file. I was able to do it setting up a "use value from an other file" while craeting the list.

Everything works fine on FM but I use IWP to host the databases and in the nrowser the list avlue is empty.

Is it possibile to access list in other file thrugh IWP?

In both database I have teh same user with full admin privileges.

I'm using FM Server Advanced 9 to host the databases.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: use value from an other file in IWP
          BowdenData

sigfrid wrote:

Hello there.

I'd like to create a value list using a list in an other file. I was able to do it setting up a "use value from an other file" while craeting the list.

Everything works fine on FM but I use IWP to host the databases and in the nrowser the list avlue is empty.

Is it possibile to access list in other file thrugh IWP?

In both database I have the same user with full admin privileges.

I'm using FM Server Advanced 9 to host the databases.

Hi,

This will definitely work. You have the first part done in that you say that you have the same account (user) setup in both dB's. You also need to have the IWP extended privilege turned on in both dB's. Since you say that it works in native FMP, but not IWP, I am betting that you don't have IWP enabled in the necessary priv set(s) in the second dB.

HTH.

Doug de Stwolinska

• 2. Re: use value from an other file in IWP
            sigfrid

Hello Doug.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I think I have the privileges already activated. I set them up under Accounts  > Privileges.

Picture 3.png

Am I misisng something?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: use value from an other file in IWP
              BowdenData

Hi,

That looks fine and you already said that you have the same account in both files. I suspect that the 2nd dB file is not getting opened properly when accessed via IWP. Do you have at least one Table Occurence of the 2nd dB file in the Relationship Graph of the 1st dB file? If not, try adding one. You don't need to link the TO from the 2nd file to anything - just drop it in the graph of the 1st file. Give that a try and see if it helps.

HTH.

Doug de Stwolinska

• 4. Re: use value from an other file in IWP
                sigfrid

Thanks for your suggestion.

Unfortunately it didn't work. I added the TO and tried with and without relationship but nothing changed.

I think it is time to move on and use a static list.

Have a nice day.

• 5. Re: use value from an other file in IWP
                  Stephen Huston

Did you try a Cartesian relationship [ X ] so that all records in each file are linked to all in the other?

If you do that and add some field to the main layout in the open table, it should open the file, making the list available.

You also need to have the same exact user name and password (case sensitive) in both files.

I realize you have checked these before, but it's hard to imagine why else this would be failing for you when we use these capabilities all the time.

And let us know what you end up doing. Post it here in this thread so future users can reference your issue and results. Many people who post problems forget to come back and tell us how they solved things days later. It's clearly not their personal priority at the time, and I don't fault them, but the solutions are what makes this forum valuable.

• 6. Re: use value from an other file in IWP
                    sigfrid

Thanks Stephen for your reply.

Unfortunately the Cartesian relationship didn't solve the issue.

However I have some new clues that can be useful: to test the connection I have added in the layout a field to display data from the linked table and even if in FMP it displays the correct value (the data in the first record on the linked table), when I open it with IWP I got "missing table" warning instead of the value. 

I'm sure username and password are exactly the same, in fact if when I'm logged into the first DB I open in a web table the main page and try to access the second DB it doesn't ask for my credentials but loads directly the main layout.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks for any help.

PS I will keep the forum posted about any update.

• 7. Re: use value from an other file in IWP
                      sigfrid

Just to specify when I said "I open in a web table the main page" I ment "I open in an other browser tab the main page".

Sorry about that but the forum doesn't let user using an iPad editing their own posts. Great iOS compatibility.  

• 8. Re: use value from an other file in IWP
                        sigfrid

Here my how it ended up.

I have decided to give up. I'm not able to make it work and I don't have more time to lose on that.

Hope other users will find it very useful.

• 9. Re: use value from an other file in IWP
                          Stephen Huston

Are you sure that the "fmiwp" Extended Privilege item is enabled in the "missing" file for the specific permission group of that account.

Each permission group has to have it enabled on its own; it's not a file-wide setting.

That's the only thing I can think of that accounts for the file showing missing in IWP once the accounts are synced and the data link has tested OK in FM Pro.

• 10. Re: use value from an other file in IWP
                            sigfrid

Hi Stephen, thanks for your reply.

As you can see here, both files have fmiwp enabled for full-access (I'm using full-access provilegs for developing and testing).

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Anyway, yesterday I have deployed the solution without the list so this issue is cloded for me.

Thanks again and have a good one.

• 11. Re: use value from an other file in IWP
                              Stephen Huston

cloded for me, too -- though I think the work I want is stumped.