5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2012 11:45 AM by thebridge

FileMaker 12 - not impressed!

lrawlins

I use FileMaker all day long and have for since it's beginning.

Since the link to update doesn't work (lots of us buying the update??) I downloaded the trial version to see what it has to offer.

Here are my first impressions on the product

1. I have many related databases. There should be a way to update all rather than spending a LOT of time updating each one at a time.

2. When I print I get a blank dialog box with an "OK" button. Click this and you get an even larger blank dialog box that has an unresponsive "Open" button.

Are they pushing beta software again?

I'll try again in a few weeks after they have their first update.

Bye

• 1. Re: FileMaker 12 - not impressed!
          Stephen Huston

I haven't done this yet with 12, but when migrating to FM7, you could drag an entire folder/directory of older files to the new App and convert them all at once.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 12 - not impressed!
            Stephen Huston

Sorry to have to post to a thread with this title.

I personally AM QUITE IMPRESSED. I've been waiting for some of this since the 2011 DevCon. Can't wait to migrate our entire in-house system to 12, but have to get a lot of client machines up to snuff to run 12 first.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 12 - not impressed!
              jormond

I noticed a few minor bugs with conversion...like the one you mentioned with the dialogs.  Not all of them, just a few.

There was also a performance difference between switching layouts that I created in 12 directly and ones that were converted from 11.

But outside of those few things...12 is a nice step forward.  There are a few things potential time-savers from a Development stand point. And throw in that FM Go is a free download now, that is very sweet.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 12 - not impressed!
                abridgesolution

Hi,

I would caution against using titles such as this!

First, this is a new product.

Secondly, opinions are a dime a dozen.

Understand that I am NOT chastising the author… nor want to infringe upon anyone’s freedom of speech.

Many, myself included, have been around thru all the various versions of Filemaker and these Filemaker, Inc. forums.

We have endured verbal wars between developers,  made snotty remarks about Filemaker products but most of us have learned better ways to say things over time.

This forum is wide open to anyone who has purchased a Filemaker product.

Many don’t know much about the product which is why they are here to begin with.

They have no way to know much about the skills of someone making such a statement and thus may get a false impression of the product.

Most of all, I believe that we all deserve respect until we exhibit behavior that may not warrant it.

Filemaker, Inc. is included in that statement. This is a new product, FM staff is a proud group of people and don’t need to be deflated with this type of thing.

All I am asking is that everyone learn the product well before offering such opinions and when you decide to comment, be respectful with the wording of said opinions.

Many of us feed our families thru work based on these products and such TITLES don’t serve the community well.

Respectfully,

Robert Bloomfield

• 5. Re: FileMaker 12 - not impressed!
                  thebridge

Hi,

I would caution against using titles such as this!

First, this is a new product.

Secondly, opinions are a dime a dozen.

Understand that I am NOT chastising the author… nor want to infringe upon anyone’s freedom of speech.

Many, myself included, have been around thru all the various versions of Filemaker and these Filemaker, Inc. forums.

We have endured verbal wars between developers, made snotty remarks about Filemaker products but most of us have learned better ways to say things over time.

This forum is wide open to anyone who has purchased a Filemaker product.

Many don’t know much about the product which is why they are here to begin with.

They have no way to know much about the skills of someone making such a statement and thus may get a false impression of the product.

Most of all, I believe that we all deserve respect until we exhibit behavior that may not warrant it.

Filemaker, Inc. is included in that statement. This is a new product, FM staff is a proud group of people and don’t need to be deflated with this type of thing.

All I am asking is that everyone learn the product well before offering such opinions and when you decide to comment, be respectful with the wording of said opinions.

Many of us feed our families thru work based on these products and such TITLES don’t serve the community well.

Sorry for the multi-post of this but for some reason it is not being sent via remails

Respectfully,

Robert Bloomfield