13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 9:25 AM by WBullard

FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file

WBullard

FMP 12 Advanced on Mac won't convert my .fp7 file. Looking through the conversion log, it appears that the conversion gets through the indexes and scripts but then stops. There is no entry about why it fails.

I was going to try the conversion using FMP 12 Advanced for Windows, but as per my other post, FMP12A for Windows won't install on my PC.

Are there some resources available to us about what to do when the conversion fails?

FMP 12 looks to have some great new features, but I hope these glitches are not indicative of future issues.

Thanks,

Will

• 1. Re: FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file
          Stephen Huston

Are your systems ready for FM12 installations?

Minimum System Requirements for Pro/Adv 12 at

http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-pro/pro-12-specifications.html

Is this file part of a multi-file solution with fiel reference to other files? If so, try converting the entire directory of solution files at once. To do this, drag the entire folder/directory to the FMP/A12 application and drop it there to open them together.

This might help, but it may not be the specific problem you are hitting.

Can you post the conversion log, or the last few lines of it before it fails, so we can see where it got to. If there are any errors shown in the log, probably better post the whole thing as an attachment.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file
            WBullard

Hi Stephen,

My Mac meets the recommended specifications.

My solution does have multiple files and I wasn't aware of dropping a folder on the program. I was hopeful that would be the solution but it wasn't. It still crashes.

One file does convert correctly. It is not very complex. It is the main file that does not convert.

Looking at the conversion log, it appears that the conversion fails after converting the main file's scripts and when it starts the layouts. I haven't been aware of any corruption in my main file but I ran the "Check Consistency" button associated with Recover. It didn't report any problems. I didn't run Recover as I've read that should only be used to recover data from an .fp7 file that should not longer be used. 

Am curious if I'm the only one have a conversion issue or if people have been too busy to convert their fp7 files today.

Any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
            Will

• 3. Re: FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file
              steveromig

Will -

If you like and are up for it, send your "main" file to me and I will try and convert it for you.  If there is indeed an issue converting your file, and with your permission, I will have our QA guys look at it.  We are definitely interested in any issues surrounding conversion.

As far as recovery goes, as a test it would be interesting to try and recover the file first and see if that makes a difference when you try and convert.  You are right however...recovery is really designed to get your data out of a file and not really designed to make a "bad" file useable again.  But in this case it would be an interesting test to run.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2012

July 16-19 • Miami, Florida

http://www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 4. Re: FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file
                Stephen Huston

Accept Steve Romig's offer! Having FileMaker staff go over it is the best offer you will get for help.

• 5. Re: FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file
                  WBullard

Hi Steve,

I'd love for you to convert my main file. I'm sorry but I can't seem to find your email address. You can send it to my email: Will@TheSmartDesigner.com

I'll send the file to you via YouSendIt.

Thank you for your offer. It will be interesting to know what you find out.

Thanks again,

Will Bullard

• 6. Re: FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file
                    WBullard

I assumed that FMI would have to get involved to resolve this, but I didn't expect a proactive offer like Steve's. Nice to see that kind of support.

• 7. Re: FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file
                      steveromig

WBullard wrote:

I assumed that FMI would have to get involved to resolve this, but I didn't expect a proactive offer like Steve's. Nice to see that kind of support.

Ah..shucks!  But happy to help.  And, believe me, we are interested in conversion issues like this.  Let's cross our fingers it does not turn out to be a corrupt file.

Check your email for an email address you can use.

Steve

• 8. Re: FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file
                        AlexeiFolger

Further to what Steve said above; since FileMaker Pro 10, Recover is no longer the black box it once was, thanks to the recover.log file. At the very least you should run a Recover on the file, then consult the summary section at the end of the recover.log file to see if any errors are reported. If one or more errors are reported, you can consult the details of the log file to see if you can determine the offending item(s). In cases where the corruption is not too serious or wide spread, you can sometimes fix it by repairing or (more likely) removing something from the ORIGINAL file (you can trash the recovered file). So, for instance, if there is one corrupt script you may be able to fix the file by deleting that script. If the file will allow you to open that script without crashing, you may even be able to print it for future reconstruction before removing it. If you make changes to the file, you should repeat the Recover/log inspection process until (hopefully) no errors are reported. Once you have a clean file, try the conversion again.

I would also suggest you run a DDR on the entire solution before doing any of this. If you do end up having to remove anything from the file, a DDR can help you determine what you'll need to do (e.g. reassigning a newly built replacement script to the buttons once attached to the removed script) to get back to your original functionality.

And if none of this works, definitely take Steve up on the offer to have our QA department look into the conversion issue.  ;-)

Alexei Folger

FileMaker, Inc.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2012

July 16-19 • Miami, Florida

http://www.filemaker.com/devcon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file
                          MicheleOlson

Excellent Post, Alexei,

Thank you.

Michele

• 10. Re: FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file
                            WBullard

Hi Alexei,

Thanks for the reply. I had run the Recover option and the log indicated about a dozen layouts (out of 212) that had had issues. I deleted those layouts but the conversion still did not work.

The good news is that after about six hours, I did finally get it to convert. If it is any help to others, I'll explain the process:

1. I deleted all the objects on any layout that had a user interface. I didn't delete the layouts themselves since they were linked to hundreds of scripts.

2. I ran the conversion and it worked which indicated the issue was with objects on a layouts.

3. Then I pasted back the objects in about 10 layouts and ran the conversion again. If it failed I'd eliminate objects on the 10 layouts until the conversion worked.

The main issue was that many of the layouts had a hidden web object that kept the user from being able to maximize a layout on a PC. As you know, when a layout is maximized on a PC and you bring up a pop-up window, then the maximized layout resizes. Not good. I forget where I read about this technique but the web object will resize a layout to 1 pixel less than the maximized dimensions when the user clicks on the maximize button. (Hopefully this won't be an issue in FMP12)

Anyway, I thought that deleting that object would be sufficient but it still didn't convert. Most of the layouts had gradients that had been created in Matt Petroski's program called Gradient Maker. I think, but I'm not certain since I tried a lot of things, that removing some of these gradients helped. On a couple of layouts it came down to a simple text field had to be deleted.

I've read disconcerting posts about FMP12 speed, but after all this work, I'm happy to say that on a Mac when run local the speed does appear to be not an issue. 

Thanks again for your post and that of Steve. Nice to know we can count on your support when we get in a bind.

Thanks,

Will

• 11. Re: FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file
                              RonSmithMD

Hi, Alexei.

I have a further question about the conversion log. First a short summary of my solution:

PaperCutPro® Practice Management and Electronic Health Records Software

Four FIles:

9.05 GB PaperCutPro.fp7 - THE main file with all the layouts, scripts and tables EXCEPT as follows:

8.09 GB PCPGraphics.fp7 - growth image file, table of images generated from the growth data table in PaperCutPro.fp7

475.6 MB PCPLogs.fp7 - custom log table.

52.66 GB PCPScans.fp7 - paper scans associated with patients table in PaperCutPro.fp7

The clone of the PaperCutPro.fp7 file is 33.1 MB.

This database has been a continuous work, in continuous hard use, and upgraded with each FMP iteration since 1999. It contains 80 tables with the some of the largest shown here.

Patients - 25,493 records

Prescriptions - 276,037 records

Laboratory - 121,664 records

Examinations - 267,282 records

Charges - 295,282 records

Injections - 377,720 records

Messages - 153,857 records

Now the conversion process reported no errors on the first try. There were however some notes with a handful of indicies though:

PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuilt value index for field 'patientid'; 25492 item(s) now exist, difference from old index is -1
                              PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuilt value index for field 'name'; 25322 item(s) now exist, difference from old index is -1
                              PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuilt value index for field 'parents'; 17640 item(s) now exist, difference from old index is -1
                              PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuilt value index for field 'employeeid'; 5 item(s) now exist, difference from old index is 1
                              PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuilt word index for field 'employeename'; 10 item(s) now exist, difference from old index is 2

PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuilt value index for field 'street'; 12682 item(s) now exist, difference from old index is -1

PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuilt word index for field 'street'; 7620 item(s) now exist, difference from old index is -1

PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuilt value index for field 'token'; 3 item(s) now exist, difference from old index is 1

PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuilt word index for field 'token'; 2 item(s) now exist, difference from old index is 1
                              PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuilt value index for field 'examid'; 267281 item(s) now exist, difference from old index is -1
                              PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuilt value index for field 'chargeid'; 295390 item(s) now exist, difference from old index is -1

2012-04-07 10:38:56.016 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'docharge' skipped.  Index was deleted.
                              2012-04-07 10:38:56.047 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'docharge_fl' skipped.  Index was deleted.
                              2012-04-07 10:38:56.048 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'claimtag' skipped.  Index was deleted.
                              2012-04-07 10:38:56.050 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'sendbill' skipped.  Index was deleted.
                              2012-04-07 10:38:56.051 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'efilehcfa1' skipped.  Index was deleted.
                              2012-04-07 10:38:56.051 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'efilehcfa2' skipped.  Index was deleted.
                              2012-04-07 10:38:56.135 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'hcfa_1_claimaddressid' skipped.  Index was deleted.
                              2012-04-07 10:38:56.135 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'use_alternate_taxid' skipped.  Index was deleted.
                              2012-04-07 10:38:56.170 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'review_status' skipped.  Index was deleted.
                              2012-04-07 10:38:56.495 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'responsibleid' skipped.  Index was deleted.
                              2012-04-07 10:38:56.565 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'pe_dxid11' skipped.  Index was deleted.
                              2012-04-07 10:38:56.604 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'pe_dxid12' skipped.  Index was deleted.
                              2012-04-07 10:38:56.604 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'pe_dxcode11' skipped.  Index was deleted.
                              2012-04-07 10:38:56.608 -0400PaperCutPro.fmp120  Rebuild of index 'pe_dxcode12' skipped.  Index was deleted.

Am I to assume that the index item count differences mean that the index was rebuilt but there were apparent anomolies or frank errors?

The deleted index messages I assume mean that I had a relationship that I removed and the index was not being used so it was simply removed, correct?

If everything is working OK am then I safe to assume that the conversion process was a complete success?

Thanks,

Ron Smith, MD

PaperCutPro

document tag: ronsmithmd

• 12. Re: FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file
                                FCallanan

Will,

Thank you for taking the time to share your learnings. It saved me DAYS of rebuilding! Using your technique I got out of my jam in a few hours.

Will's technique invloved clearing objects from all layouts, converting, and replacing layout objects. His insight from this technique was: "web viewer layouts are prime suspects."

My summary:

I had a file that failed to convert to FIleMaker 12. This is a 3 file solution. The file in question is the interface, in this separation model deployment. "Recover" finds no problems in my v11 file, nor in the clones cited below.

My conversion fails while converting layouts. As you may have noticed, the 11-12 conversion log doesn't log any steps in the process of converting layouts. Rather, (successful) conversion simply notes: 150 layouts were converted. My (failed) conversion's progress bar gets to about 75%, and then the application crashes. Very difficult to root out offending layouts. I was not a happy camper.
                                Then I located and followed Will's tips. I was even able to shorten the path a bit.
                                During development, I keep pretty good version notes to document my changes, and I save clones, dated and tagged by version. The latest version that would convert was from August (5 months old).
                                I used the Filemaker Design functions LayoutIDs(FIleName) and LayoutNames(FileName) to put together some comparison spreadsheets with 3 columns each - third column was the layout numbers: the order in which the functions return the lists. I was able to compare newly added layouts from the last convertible version to the first failed version, and focus on a handful of layouts to clear.
                                As it worked out, the 14th layout I cleared the objects from had web viewer objects. Once cleared, I ran the conversion, et voila! I replaced all the objects on the first 13 I had cleared and converted again without trouble. This left me with a single layout to rebuild.
                                Thanks again for sharing,
                                Frank Callanan
                                Data Pro North East
                                Camden, Maine
                                • 13. Re: FMP 12 won't convert my FMP 7.fp7 file
                                  WBullard

I'm glad my post was helpful. I always feel like I take so much more than I give to this forum.

Best,

Will