4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2012 3:47 PM by cortical

Progressive backup path, OS X

Anyone able to get this working?

As I understand from the tutorial video on FMP's site, the path cannot be within FMS's backup folder, but nothing I enter is working. Is this possibly a permissions issue?

• 1. Re: Progressive backup path, OS X
          tech_liaison

Hi Scott: Premissions would be my first guess. Also, you're including the "filemac:" prefix on the path, right? Don't know whether you've read the FMS Help topic on setting up progressive back-up folders, but in it we're recommending that progressive back-up folders reside on a separate hard drive volume from the FMS installation:

FileMaker recommends that you specify a progressive backup folder on a different hard drive than the one where the hosted databases reside. Since the progressive changes may be written to the progressive backup folder at nearly the same time that changes are written to the hosted databases, using two different hard drives may improve Server performance.

That might help in troubleshooting/resolving any permissions issues. HTH.

Best,

Dave

• 2. Re: Progressive backup path, OS X
            karendweaver

I am pretty sure it's permissions. I got the preview working quickly by testing it in the Mac shared user

Sent from my iPhone

Karen Weaver

Desert Dog Technology, Inc.

• 3. Re: Progressive backup path, OS X

Thanks Dave and Karen. Simply a permissions issue.

• 4. Re: Progressive backup path, OS X
                cortical

when you create a new directory somewhere, it will be given the OS X account perimissions profile for owner/group/others

It HAS TO HAVE the fmsadmin profile, or the path vaildation in FMS admin console will fail, even when the path and syntax are correct.

If permissions are somewhat foreign territory, download and use a small utitity called BatChmod

FMS backup path validation

the permissions must be correct or else the path will not validate

apply to enclosing folders and files

owner          fmserver     rwx

group          fmsadmin     rwx

everyone     everyone     r-x

as per the default:

filemaker_server_backup_path_permissions.png