4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2012 6:59 AM by itraining

New Script Trigger - OnLastWindowClose

itraining

G'day everyone

Taking my first look at FMPA12.

New Script Trigger:

Massive (arms out in a kind of "I want to hug you") thank you, to FMI for the new OnLastWindowClose script trigger (File: File Options...).

Finally a simple way to prevent users accidentally closing the database when they close the last window.

If I had $1 for every time a user has requested this funtionality, I would be $3,867 richer (or thereabouts).

WAN speed:

My last couple of clients have been 3 person companies with each user in a different State or Country. Hosting the databases in the USA and clients accessing them over the WAN works but speed is a major issue. The webinar mentioned speed increases. Can anyone provide evidence of real world speed increases using FMS12 and FMP12? Is it a lot faster or only marginally faster?

Resize/Stretch:

The "Meetings" starter solution demonstrates the layout theme and objects stretching and resizing as the window is resized in browse mode. The new layout I created, the Theme does not stretch/resize and I cannot find it in Help. How do I turn on the theme stretch/resize attribute?

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

• 1. Re: New Script Trigger - OnLastWindowClose
          MicheleOlson

Resize/Stretch:

The "Meetings" starter solution demonstrates the layout theme and objects stretching and resizing as the window is resized in browse mode. The new layout I created, the Theme does not stretch/resize and I cannot find it in Help. How do I turn on the theme stretch/resize attribute?

G'day Michael,

It is in the same location as the prior version. Take a look at the Inspector, Position Tab, the Autosizing section. It does not seem obvious since the theme elements cannot be selected [the background box, etc.], but if you select a field and change the autosize options, the theme elements go with it.

Michele

• 2. Re: New Script Trigger - OnLastWindowClose
            itraining

Hi Michele

Long time no chat. Thanks for the response.

As an educator you have encountered students who are "not the sharpest knife in the drawer". Sorry to say, I think I am a spoon and I still don't get it. Let me run you through what I did:

01 Created new database from the Meetings starter solution

02 On the Meeting Detail layout, I changed the theme to Rounded: Sky (it stretches/squashes beautifully as the window is resized in browse mode).

03 Created a new layout (form) using the Rounded: Sky theme and added only 2 fields from the Meeting table (Title and Location)

04 The 2 fields are locked top and left (unlocked right and bottom) in the Inspector:Autosizing

05 There are no other objects on the layout. I cannot select the theme background objects. The layout does NOT stretch/squash in browse mode. I am missing something!

Thanks in advance.

Michael Richards

• 3. Re: New Script Trigger - OnLastWindowClose
              MicheleOlson

Michael,

No coments about sharpest knife in the drawer... you are a pretty sharp knife as I recall.

I don't think the Autosizer is particularly intuitive, but once you get used to the way it works, it is OK.

What you need to do is select one of the other autosize options. The lock on the right [which is not locked] and/or the lock on the bottom [which is not locked] in 04. That is what locks the selected objects [the 2 fields] and the layout unselectable elements to the *sizer*.

Here's How:

Select the field Subject on the Meetings Detail Report. Notice the right Lock is selected? This is what causes it and the layout elements to autosize or stretch as the window width increases.

Go to your new layout with the two fields. Select one of them and click the right Lock position on the Autosizer. You'll see the same result.

Michele

• 4. Re: New Script Trigger - OnLastWindowClose
                itraining

Thanks Michelle.

Your clear explanation helped me to get the resize working.

When I was investigating the fields/objects and their Autosizing attributes on the Meeting Detail layout, I looked at most objects except the Title field (DOH!).

You are right about the intuiative aspect of Autosizing.

It looks like, if 1 object has the right (or bottom) padlock active, the background objects (not selectable) stretch/squash.

I thought the whole point of the GUI was that a user "selects" the object they want to modify, then modify it - not so with background theme objects.

Bye for now Michelle.

Thanks again.

Michael