1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2012 1:17 AM by psijmons

Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?

psijmons

Anyone tried to run the latest Mac (Lion) Java update Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_31 yet and seen issues with FMSAT?

I've seen this break before and am reluctant to install it.

• 1. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
          Order_from_Chaos

I have the latest update in Lion and SAT works fine running directly on the server machine. Not sure if this is a Java issue or not but I am unable to get the tool to work from a client machine with the same OS and patches.  SAT throws an error and mentions that the error is regarding FMS 11. Is there some method for refreshing this link somehow? Everything else works fine.

Brett

• 2. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
            psijmons

Brett, did you download a fresh copy when you start FMSAT from a browser?

using http://YourServerIPNumber:16000

• 3. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
              Order_from_Chaos

Yes. Deleted old copy and tried downloading multiple times. Browser link looks appropriate but SAT doesn't work. States: Unable to launch the application.  Name: FMS11-Development Server (the previoius installed FMS name). Error: http://192.168.99.100:16000/admin-client-lib/libqua qua.jnilib.jar. When I installed FMS12, I used the previous installer to remove FMS11, rebooted, then installed FMS12. Seems to work fine and SAT on the host machine works fine. SAT worked perfectly under FMPA11 and FMS11.

BrettError.jpg

• 4. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
                psijmons

Brett,

I just noticed that the Java update SE 6 to 1.6.0_31 was preceded 2 days ago by SE 6 to 1.6.0_30.

Apple does not provide any info on the difference, but apparently a quick fix was necessary.

What version of Java are you using?

Did you try a reboot? Does the machine have a fixed IP?

• 5. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
                  Order_from_Chaos

Thanks for the heads up on the recent update to the update. I applied it and rebooted the client machine and downloaded a new copy of SAT again. Still no joy.

Client: MacBook Pro 15" late 2008 2.8 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD. Mac OS X 10.7.3 up to date on all patches.

Server: Mac Mini 2.54 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HD. Mac OS X 10.7.3 Server up to date on all patches. The IP address for the server is fixed.

Does the SAT cache settings somewhere like a plist file? I've not run into this particular problem before when upgrading.

Brett

• 6. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
                    psijmons

Brett,

we have several configurations excactly like that (except for the latest Java updates) and I checked our own internal FAQ for related issues.

I'm afraid the only similar ticket mentioned that the only step that helped was a complete unistall / re-install cycle of FMServer 11.

Make sure you save all schedules before you do this. Database files should remain in place even after uninstall, but just to be sure, I always duplicate them to a safe place first.

• 7. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
                      Order_from_Chaos

Hmmm. I suspected I might have to go that far - hoped not. I guess that means uninstall FMS12, reinstall FMS11 - then uninstall FMS11 and reinstall FMS12? I think I'll try reinstalling FMS12 after an uninstall first. I'll report back after my attempt later today.

Thanks for checking into your ticket history with this issue.

Brett

• 8. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
                        Order_from_Chaos

OK, removed FMS12, rebooted and reinstalled. Downloaded SAT (new copies) to host and client and once again, host version works fine. Client still fails with same error. Latest Java patch is on all machines.

Brett

• 9. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
                          karendweaver

Brett

Check the thread "Java Update Breaks Console" - Steve Romig from FileMaker just posted an update there a few minutes ago.  There is an Apple update to the update in the last 24 hours and FileMaker is testing it now.  There will be an "official" response soon.

Karen

• 10. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
                            Order_from_Chaos

A search for "Java Update Breaks Console" returned no exact matches and nothing recent. Also searched under Steve Romig - nothing current. Do you have a link to this discussion? I have applied the update to the update with no change.

Brett

• 11. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
                              karendweaver

Oh sorry, Brett - this is an FBA topic.  I didn't notice that.  I will post an update here for you when there is one.

Karen

• 12. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
                                Order_from_Chaos

Thanks. I guess I will have to copy all files to the server with ADR to upload until there is a fix. Is anyone else seeing this specific problem of the client not able to use SAT?

Brett

• 13. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
                                  karendweaver

I have having this problem intermittently, as well as seeing it reported on mulitple lists that I monitor. 

On the same client - I can open some servers and not others remotely.  The ones I am having problems with have changed the server location or version since I first downloaded the java app.  So I think there is some leftover code that hasn't been cleared out.  I can't manage my new FMS12 server remotely, nor can I manage a remote client running FMS11 that had a hard drive replaced and FM running on a backup server with a different IP for about a week.  But the problem did not start until I installed the FM12 server and FMPA12 on my local machine.  Pretty sure there is something I need to clean up, but haven't had the time to troubleshoot it, so just working on the server for those two..

I do have the Java 30 update but not the latest one yet.

Definitely you are not alone.

Karen

• 14. Re: Latest Mac Java update breaks FMSAT?
                                    Order_from_Chaos

I uninstalled FMS 12 and installed FMS11. Same issue persists. I tried SAT from different laptop and SAT connected with no problem. Applied Java update, still connected with no issues. I removed FMS 11 and re-installed FMS 12. Now BOTH clients cannot use SAT to reach the server and both refer to being unable to connect to FMS 11. SAT was erased and a new copy downloaded with no improvement. I think it's pretty clear this has to do with something being left on the machine and the new Java update. Weird that it works fine on the host machine.

Brett

1 2 Previous Next