3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2012 9:35 AM by DuckSportsFan

FMA 12 Portal Record Select, Go To Related Record SLOW!

DuckSportsFan

Greetings!

Just installed FMA12 on an iMac 24", 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 Mhz Ram, OS 10.6.8. I noticed immediately a portal with 6 records, (on a self TO relationship) when click on lower records in portal, there's a little delay, like 1 second. When clicking on records above current selected one, the speed is even worse, like 2 seconds.

I turned off the TO sort, with minimal improvement in speed. I turned off background color conditional on current portal record, didn't effect speed.

This is not a good development. I have not tested this with FMP12 or FMS12.

Any thoughts? Is it just me?

Paul Fenley

Eugene, Oregon

Home of the Ducks!

• 1. Re: FMA 12 Portal Record Select, Go To Related Record SLOW!
          Stephen Huston

Hi Paul,

When using the GTRR, are staying on the same layout or going to a different layout?

• If the same layout, there may be some delay as the new layout refreshes and resolves the portal contents of the new base record.
          • If a different layout, does the target layout have calcs to resolve before it can fully refresh?

Those are my ideas on things which would slow the screen redraws, but maybe this is a FM12 issue.

How much slower is this than when you do the same GTRR in FM11, or is this a new file so you can't test same layouts in 11?

Stephen Huston

• 2. Re: FMA 12 Portal Record Select, Go To Related Record SLOW!
            Vaughan

Firstly get the iMac some more RAM -- 4 GB is cheap and 10.6 really needs it. It may go up to 6 GB so do that if possible.

Secondly, go into FMP's preferences and increase the cache size. (No point if the system as no RAM though...)

• 3. Re: FMA 12 Portal Record Select, Go To Related Record SLOW!
              DuckSportsFan

Thanks Stephen & Vaughan...

Stephen, I'm on same layout.

I've rebooted and only opened FMA11 to test the original solution... I was shocked to see a 3 sec. delay up or down the same portal list... I must just not have noticed it, but was criticle on the new FMA12's performance.  I'm glad to say that after "re-testing" the performance (after the reboot) of the "converted" solution to FMA12, there was a 1/2 sec delay up or down. 

I must have been reading and writing to disk, as Vaughan suggests, and need more ram.  I do all the IT and operations for my company and usually have a miriad of apps open, a lot in image and design editing.

I'm happy with that and can determine this is another case of "USER ERROR". Case closed.

Thanks for your timely reply.

Paul