1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2012 11:56 AM by pantarhei

Record locking

pantarhei

As a very new FM Go user, I was somewhat astonished this morning (GMT +2) when both photos and voice recordings appeared in my hosting machine, with the same record open.

Further testing showed that any change took effect both ways, in FMP 11 and 12.

Having only one even reasonably current FMP-licence, I can't test the situation with desktop machines (can't be bothered installing FMP 6 for which I have 3 licences.)

Now: there are situations when record locking is not a good thing, but few and far between. In fact, in my current project the described situation may well be beneficial: the field crew member can send data to the guy or gal sitting in the office with all the paperwork at hand. Ideally there'd be a (scriptable) setting/preference for this.

Am I once again missing something? (I'm actually at FMP 6 level still!)

• 1. Re: Record locking
          RayCologon

pantarhei wrote:

As a very new FM Go user, I was somewhat astonished this morning (GMT +2) when both photos and voice recordings appeared in my hosting machine, with the same record open.

Hi pantarhei,

Record locking is still a feature of FileMaker's behavior, including for hosted files and files accessed by FM Go. There are some specific differences about the way conflicts are handled when the data resides in an SQL table (and is accessed via ESS) however, but you haven't indicated that is part of your solution.

It might be helpful if you said a little more about how your solution is set up, what exactly occurred at GMT+2 and why you've concluded that (if I understand you correctly) two users were editing the same record simultansously.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 2. Re: Record locking
            pantarhei

G'day, Ray!

(Used to live in Melbourne and still have some clients there – not only FMP, which is just a part of my repertoire. And not to mention fond memories! What a great City!)

This thing I'm working on is just a kite I'm trying to fly. No features, no security.

I was the only physical user, but was hosting as panta rhei; accessing with the iPad as a guest (full access.)

Whenever I made changes to the same record in either end, the updates went through. No record locking.

Cheers,

Petri

• 3. Re: Record locking
              Stephen Huston

Hi Petri,

Record locking occurs on a record only when changes have been made to a field and  the record has not been committed since those changes. If you are seeing the changes appear live between users, those changes have been committed, so the record is not necessarily locked.

Placing a cursor in the field without making a change to the data, or making changes to a global field, does not lock the record. Record locking does not keep other users from seeing a record, just from editing while changes are pending by another user.

If you committed the edits but kept the record on-screen, it was not still locked.

It's even conceivable that, if you were logged in with the same account name via both client devices, that FM thought both  were the same one locking the record, though I rather doubt that.

Stephen Huston

• 4. Re: Record locking
                pantarhei

Right. In my recollection, it used to be that when Petri had a record open, a Guest could not modify it. Now we can, it seems, to have a duel: I say tomato, you say a tomatoe! Have to test with the same field to see if anything goes.

At this point, there is no explicit ”commit” requirement.

• 5. Re: Record locking
                  Stephen Huston

No explicit commit required, just an actual committing of the field will release the record, i.e. clicking outside of all fields. Most layouts are preset to save edits without requiring explicit commit dialogs.

• 6. Re: Record locking
                    pantarhei

Again, in my recollection, just having a record open used to lock it. (The complaints, the complaints...) But maybe it wasn't this way after all.

• 7. Re: Record locking
                      Stephen Huston

I seem to recall that was true many versions back, but  Open and Unmodified not locking records has been much nicer for some time now.

• 8. Re: Record locking
                        RayCologon

Stephen Huston wrote:

...It's even conceivable that, if you were logged in with the same account name via both client devices, that FM thought both  were the same one locking the record, though I rather doubt that.

Hi Stephen,

You're right to doubt it, because it isn't the case. Multiple sessions using the same account are possible, but each is separately able to uniquely lock a record while editing a record.

Stephen Huston wrote:

No explicit commit required, just an actual committing of the field will release the record, i.e. clicking outside of all fields. Most layouts are preset to save edits without requiring explicit commit dialogs.

I think I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure I entirely agree with the 'explicit' distinction you're making - IOW, clicking outside of all fields is one of the ways to explicitly commit the record. ;)

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 9. Re: Record locking
                          pantarhei

Not exactly sure about the nicety, Stephen... Either way, the users will hate it!

I did a lot of FMP work in the 1990s, but lost 90% of the business when FMP 4 came out – and as comes to actual multi-user systems, 99%.

• 10. Re: Record locking
                            RayCologon

pantarhei wrote:

Again, in my recollection, just having a record open used to lock it. (The complaints, the complaints...) But maybe it wasn't this way after all.

Hi Petri,

Just having a record open locks it in all cases, and in all versions to date.

The difference is that prior to the release of version 7, simply placing the cursor into a field (without making any changes to data) opened the record, whereas from version 7 on, there are only two ways to open a record:

i) editing the data (manually or with a script or button action), or

ii) calling the Open Record/Request script or button command

So, just placing the cursor into a field (without making any changes to the data) doesn't lock the record - which is a distinct improvement (greatly reducing the frequency of complaints of the kind you mention).

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 11. Re: Record locking
                              Stephen Huston

By explicit, I was refering to the option where layouts save edits after a user-dialog allowing the Save. That's what I meant by explicit, as opposed to implicit, where the layout settings default to commiting without requiring confirmation by the user.

Sorry for any confusion.

• 12. Re: Record locking
                                RayCologon

Stephen Huston wrote:

I was refering to the option to let layouts save edits without a user-dialog allowing the Save. That's what I meant by explicit, as opposed to implicit, where the layout settings default to commiting with confirmation by the user.

Hi Stephen,

Okay, that makes sense, and I see what you were saying - I agree that a commit without a prompt might reasonably be called implicit when compared to being presented with the prompt dialog that requires an additional user action/response.

Thanks for clarifying.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 13. Re: Record locking
                                  pantarhei

Tested with the same record & same field active on the Mac and the iPad. No locking: duelling values go through and appear on the screen of the other combatant.

• 14. Re: Record locking
                                    RayCologon

pantarhei wrote:

Tested with the same record & same field active on the Mac and the iPad. No locking: duelling values go through and appear on the screen of the other combatant.

Hi Petri,

I'm sorry, but you seem to be missing the point.

Making a field active does not (in itself) lock a record and hasn't since the days ot FileMaker 6.

To lock a record you have to open it - by one of the two methods I mentioned in a previous post. I can assure you that once a record is open, other users attempting to edit it will see an error message telling them it's locked.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

1 2 Previous Next