8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2012 8:44 PM by Vaughan

Color chooser pallet

KylePutzier

Can the colors added to the bottom grid of the color chooser pallet be Removed?

Side question. Why did Embossed go away?

• 1. Re: Color chooser pallet
          mark_scott

Hello Kyle,

In reverse order:

The "embossed" effect didn't entirely go away, but it has been removed from direct control via the Inspector.  In my testing, each theme appears to specify a certain amount of embossing (for buttons, tabs, etc.) and engraving (for fields) through its underlying css.  It's more subtle than was the case pre-FM12, but on careful inspection is still there (in most themes, at least).

Re the color chooser, since FM now uses the system color chooser, the color swatches in that palette are shared across all applications on a given computer (at least on Mac OS, but I'd guess it's the same on Windows).  The flip side of that coin is that the palette doesn't travel with the file, so if you're working on more than one computer or engaged in team development, it requires explicit effort to make sure that shared palette colors are available on all machines.  On Mac (not sure re Windows) you can overwrite any color swatch by just dragging a new color on top of an existing one.  Dragging white on top essentially blanks out the color.  (Well, technically, it replaces it with white, obviously, but that's what the unused default swatches all were to begin with.)

Hope this helps,

Mark

• 2. Re: Color chooser pallet
            gowa

Well, it looks like I'll have to use PS to create the embossing. Not very productive.

• 3. Re: Color chooser pallet
              mark_scott

Hi gowa,

I used to use Illustrator to create buttons, so you might try that too; not sure how it compares with Photoshop for that purpose. . . Just a thought.  (Ironically, with the new gradients, dynamically rounded corners, and state effects, I'm leaning more toward keeping buttons, etc., FM-native now.)

Mark

• 4. Re: Color chooser pallet
                gowa

Maybe in the future I'll be using FM for more stuff as well but when it comes to special treatment such as grads, color matching, & embossing PS is hard to beat.

I sure wish FM had to put a color sampler with their color pattet.

• 5. Re: Color chooser pallet
                  mark_scott

Hello gowa,

I sure wish FM had to put a color sampler with their color pattet.

If you're on a Mac, select "Other Color…" at the bottom of FileMaker's color palette, then, in the system color chooser that comes up, look for the maginifying glass icon to the left of the color well.  That'll be your sampler tool.  Not sure whether this is true on both platforms; maybe someone could comment re Windows?

Hope this helps,

Mark

• 6. Re: Color chooser pallet
                    gowa

Well Mark, if it's available on Mac, I must say that I'm even more disappointed and feel it's done intentionally by Apple. That’s pretty low and begs the question; what else have they done to slow down windows users? Thankfully, our company has only purchased two copies of FM thus far and I’ll be investigating this farther to ensure that our company’s productivity will not be adversely affected by using Apple products.

Thank you.

• 7. Re: Color chooser pallet
                      BeatriceBeaubien

Hi gowa,

Re: Colour Palette

This is governed by the operating system. The Mac OS provides a way of choosing other colours and saving those choices after the application has quit; it's still there when you start up FileMaker (or any other application) again.

Microsoft doesn't provide this feature. You can choose a custom colour, but once you quit the application (at least in XP, anyone have information about 7?), it's gone.

So, this accommodation is provided intentionally by Apple at the OS level, and not provided for in Windows. Not much Apple can do about it. Or FileMaker.

Regards,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

On Apr 15, 2012, at 22:26, gowa wrote

created by gowa in General - View the full discussion

Well Mark, if it's available on Mac, I must say that I'm even more disappointed and feel it's done intentionally by Apple. That’s pretty low and begs the question; what else have they done to slow down windows users? Thankfully, our company has only purchased two copies of FM thus far and I’ll be investigating this farther to ensure that our company’s productivity will not be adversely affected by using Apple products.

Thank you.

• 8. Re: Color chooser pallet
                        Vaughan

For years people have been complaining that FMP uses its own widgets and interface elements to ensure cross platform compatibility and parity of features, and that this is a BAD thing. Instead FMP should be using OS native elements and widgets to look and feel OS-native.

So FMI listens, and impements native OS elements and devices.

Now people complain because FMP on OS X has a better color picker. Sheesh.

I'd say that Apple has intentionally made OS X better than Windows.