6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2012 7:02 PM by RayCologon

Having Trouble with Lists and Radio Buttons

bluelillie

I have a list of 12 items each which should receive a 'desired' or 'undesired' selection. In a spreadsheet, this would just be a matter of one column to list the items, one for desired and one for undesired with the ability to check next to the item 'desired' or 'undesired'.

I'm having to put this checklist into an FMP layout and have been playing with radio button sets and got desperate enough to try checkboxes (which I have been successful with in the past). Out of despair, I have created three fields (items, desired, undesired) and laid them side by side for the illusion of cohesion. However, neither the radio buttons nor even the checkboxes are letting me choose desired or undesired for each item- only the top one will select (even with the 'cheat'). I'm probably taking the wrong approach since as I said above I'm more use to this in a spreadsheet than a database, but there has to be a way to make it work. Any answers or advice please. . .

Should look like (although the line distinctions are not required, just the formatting/side by side ability):

ItemDesiredUndesired
      1x
      x
      3x
      x
      and so on
      x

This information will just be viewed. It won't trigger anything and I am using FMP Advanced

• 1. Re: Having Trouble with Lists and Radio Buttons
          RayCologon

bluelillie wrote:

...However, neither the radio buttons nor even the checkboxes are letting me choose desired or undesired for each item- only the top one will select (even with the 'cheat').

Hi bluelillie,

To get this to work, you only need two fields - one for the item name (or number) and another for the desired/undesired selection. Then you'll need to create a custom value list with the values Desired and Undesired and attach it to the selection field. The Radio Button field control object would be the most suitable for this.

You haven't said which version (eg 11 or 12) of FileMaker you're using, but I've taken the liberty of attaching an .fp7 example file that matches the layout you've included in your post.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 2. Re: Having Trouble with Lists and Radio Buttons
            bluelillie

Ray,

Thanks for getting back so quickly; and I am currently using 11 waiting for my 12 update. I'm sure what I'm about to say will cause a chuckle at the least, but I originally had done what you showed in the example, but I couldn't get mine to go side-by-side only vertical which is when I started trying with the checkbox because I'm more familiar with it and while I need a radio button functionality (the exclusivity) I was going to work with what ever I could. I'm still not sure how you did it. I looked at your value lists, database, and the inspector and I'm not seeing any differences in what you created versus what I did- other than you have the correct end product. Thank you for sending that example and I will keep working at it.

BlueLillie

• 3. Re: Having Trouble with Lists and Radio Buttons
              RayCologon

bluelillie wrote:

...I'm still not sure how you did it.

Hi bluelillie,

Getting the radio button values to sit side by side is simply a matter of making sure the field box on the layout is wide enough to accommodate both values. If it isn't, then FileMaker will place them one beneath the other.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 4. Re: Having Trouble with Lists and Radio Buttons
                bluelillie

Ray,

Okay, I found my problem for getting them side by side, I had a lock checked or something which wouldn't let me make the box wide enough for a side by side display. So I guess now I just need to make 11 more of those sets and I'm good to go (one for each item on my list)? Also, the list is static, just the results change, I have made the 12 items an auto-enter field- is that the right choice??

Thanks again!

BlueLillie

• 5. Re: Having Trouble with Lists and Radio Buttons
                  bluelillie

Ray Cologon wrote:

Getting the radio button values to sit side by side is simply a matter of making sure the field box on the layout is wide enough to accommodate both values

You are fast. I was just writing that I figured that out and you had already replied back.it was a 'lock' issue (dumb mistake).

• 6. Re: Having Trouble with Lists and Radio Buttons
                    RayCologon

bluelillie wrote:

So I guess now I just need to make 11 more of those sets and I'm good to go (one for each item on my list)?

Hi,

In the absence of a good reason to do otherwise, it would make more sense to have each item on its own record, with only two fields, as suggested in my earlier post - one for item name (or number) and the other for the selection. That way you have twelve records, but the data structure is a lot simpler and more flexible.

If you need to combine the selection data with other data, then I'd still suggest having each on its own record - but put them into a separate table and use a portal to display them in rows on your layout.

There are all sorts of reasons why it's preferable to use just two fields, rather than creating twelve instances of each within the same table.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.