1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2012 1:40 PM by jormond

FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?

Order_from_Chaos

I created a layout with multiple tabs containing portals related to the main record. I created the first portal and then copy/paste into the next tab and used position by points to realign in the same position as the initial tab. I then modified the portal to reflect the new TO and changed it's fields. When I go back to the first tab, that portal has now been altered as well. Does the copy/paste in FMPA12 somehow leave these linked? I tried it again into the next tab, changed the portal setup and then all 3 tabs now have the same setup. Don't recall this ever happening in 11.

Mac OS X 10.7.3 with on MacBook Pro late 2008, 2.8 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB 7200 rpm HD. Running only on client.

Brett

• 1. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?

Not seeing it on Mac with similar setup. By same setup, do you mean that all portal TOs become the same, as well as the fields within them?

Are your portals near the edge of the tab boundaries? Is it possible that it resides outside of the tab?

• 2. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?
            RayCologon

Order_from_Chaos wrote:

...I then modified the portal to reflect the new TO and changed it's fields. When I go back to the first tab, that portal has now been altered as well....

Hi Brett,

I had a quick look to see if I could reproduce the issut you're having, and wasn't able to do so in FMPA 12.0v1 on either Mac or Windows - all the portals (I created three, each in a separate tab on the same layout in a new test file on each machine) ended up correctly assigned to their respective (different) TOs.

Admittedly, the Mac machine I had access to for the test was running Snow Leopard, not Lion - I haven't had a chance to test on a Lion machine as yet.

However, whatever the issue you're seeing is, it doesn't seem to apply generally. Do you have a different machine you can try this on? After a reboot, are you able to reproduce the behavior in a brand new file?

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

• 3. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?
              Stephen Huston

Do you mean that

1. unedited portals now show different related records based on edits to another portal, or
              2. do you mean that theme-like editing of appearances have changed.

The first would be a huge problem. The second is what I  expect with theme-based layouts, assuming any edit/save of the layout had  caused some theme info to be saved with the layout, even selecting Classic Theme.

• 4. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?
                Order_from_Chaos

Thanks for weighing in. I must be doing something wrong. I have attached the sample file I was experimenting with. In addition, the telephone field stays black (in the upper portion outside of the tabs) even when I copy and paste the formating from other fields. I created this file from scratch this morning just to play with FMPA12.

I had updated the Phone tab and it also changed the portal under Alias and Address.

Brett

• 5. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?
                  Order_from_Chaos

Unfortunately, it's #1. See my next entry for the sample file.

Brett

• 6. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?
                    Stephen Huston

Hi Brett,

I opened the file, took a look, and it did look like all portals showed the same info.

Then I went to the last tab, selected just the portal, and used the arrow keys to move it one pixel, then saved.

The portals on my copy now show different content!

I think you got bit by the floating-object feature discussed a few days ago, where an object positioned over a tab object ENTIRELY via Inspector positioning, actually floats above the tabs, so it appears to be on all tabs. Moving it manually in layout mode, even one pixel, locks it to the active tab being viewed in layout mode at the time.

See the topic from April 6: FM12 bug adding fields to tabs

Stephen Huston

• 7. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?
                      Order_from_Chaos

Stephen,

Thanks. That explains it as I copied and repositioned entirely with inspector positioning. I'll keep that in mind going forward. Hopefully there will be a fix but at least I know how to correct it!

Brett

• 8. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?
                        Order_from_Chaos

Any idea why the text for the phone number keeps reverting to black? If you look at the layout just for phone numbers, it appears to be applied so that it also affects all layouts that display the data from that field. I applied no formatting other than the theme when it was created. The phone number is formatted with an Auto-enter calculation.

Brett

• 9. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?
                          ch0c0halic

Brett may need to hire a mover.

The portals are not on the tabs you think they are on.

If I grab the topmost portal in the first tab and drag it off to the side away from the tabs I find there appear to be multiple portals on the first tab. In other words when you thought you were placing the portal on the third tab in fact it wasn't.

Since the same portal (Phone) appears on every tab, even the email tab which doesn't have a portal on it, I believe the topmost portal (phone) is actually floating above the tab and is not being recognized as part of the tab.

What I did to fix it.

Move the topmost portal off the tab. Just click and drag the body of the portal and all the field on it will also move.

Select the Phone tab

Move it back onto the phone tab.

After fixing it is when I found there wasn't a portal on the Email tab.

• 10. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?
                            Order_from_Chaos

ch0cohalic,

Thanks. As Stephen pointed out, apparently if you copy and paste and reposition with the inspector entirely (which I did), the pasted object ends up floating in a layer not associated with any tab even though it is within the borders. New behavior that I can expect now that I know about it.

Brett

• 11. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?
                              mark_scott

Interesting (if potentially troublesome) behavior.  The underlying change in FM12 is actually (I'd argue) a good one, but maybe needs tweaking to account for positioning via the Inspector.  Previously, objects on tabs (or in portals), so long as entierly within the enclosing object's borders, were part of but not affixed to that enclosing object.  That is, if you grabbed just the tab panel or portal object and dragged it, the enclosed objects didn't come along too, unless explicitly selected.  Now, the idea is that objects are supposed to be fixed to the enclosing one, such that if you drag the portal or tab control object, its fields, buttons, etc. all move too.  This is good.  The bug — I presume that's what this is — seems to be that if you position something over a tab panel using only the Inspector to place it numerically, it neither gets affixed in this way, nor even becomes part of the underlying object.

Mark

• 12. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?
                                Stephen Huston

Hi Mark,

My experience in 11 was that tab objects do take all their full-contained objects with them when moved, even if only a tab was selected.

The one that always burned me was that portals would not take their enclosed fields with them if you forgot and selected just the portal object. I never could remenber that consistently, and undo saved my bacon a lot.

This new feature in 12 for floating objects via the Inspect is a bad feature -- probably an accident that FMI didn't expect. If it's a bug, it needs fixing. If it's a feature, it should be removed.

• 13. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?
                                  mark_scott

Hi Stephen,

My experience in 11 was that tab objects do take all their full-contained objects with them when moved, even if only a tab was selected.

Indeed!  Thanks for the correction.

And I gotta believe this is just an oversight, not a feature.

Mark

• 14. Re: FMPA12 Layout Copy/Paste Bug?
                                    Order_from_Chaos

I agree. Overall, there's a lot to like with the new layout editing environment. My only other quible so far is that sometimes elements are a little "sticky" and I end up dragging them a little as I click and move. The undo feature does wonders for this but I do have to be a little more deliberate. Formatting is much faster overall with the new guides and tools however and I will willingly make this sacrifice. The "floating" feature needs to be fixed though.

Brett

1 2 Previous Next