6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2012 6:05 AM by IT_User

Unable to Remove Database

IT_User

Hello,

In the admin console I keep getting the error message below. And the files aren't even there. I try "Refresh List" and Verifying the databases, but it still does not work.

Remove DB error.png

I am able to remove other databases, just not these. I was trying to test these with IWP.

I would appreciate greatly anyone's help.

~Laura

• 1. Re: Unable to Remove Database
          beverly

Laura,

I don't know if this is "recommended practice" or just what I'd do.

1. if these were used for IWP, try stopping web publishing (to be sure it's not holding on to something), refresh the list. try stopping and restarting the database server

next

2. try removing the database frorm the folder (after closing all databases and stopping web publishing and database server)

next

3. try restarting the server machine (after closing all databases and stopping web publishing and database server)

If you cannot close all databases, please let us know before trying anything!

Beverly

• 2. Re: Unable to Remove Database
            RubenVanDenBoogaard

Hi Laura,

Close FMS and remove the database manually from the database folder.

Best regards,

Ruben van den Boogaard

Infomatics Software

ruben@infomatics.nl

created by IT_User in Server and Server Advanced - View the full discussion

Hello,

In the admin console I keep getting the error message below.  And the files aren't even there.  I try "Refresh List" and Verifying the databases, but it still does not work.

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-77318-1975/450-117/RemoveDBerror.png

I am able to remove other databases, just not these.  I was trying to test these with IWP.

I would appreciate greatly anyone's help.

~Laura

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in Server and Server Advanced by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2012 • Miami, Florida • July 16-18 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 3. Re: Unable to Remove Database
              IT_User

Hi Beverly,

Thank you for your help.

I think I tried everything, but no luck.

I think, however, there might be just a bug or corruption going on.  I can try and just do everything from scratch again.

• 4. Re: Unable to Remove Database
                IT_User

Hi Ruben,

Thank you for you help.

I have tried that, but it did not work.  I think I will just try everythign from scratch.

• 5. Re: Unable to Remove Database
                  mbraendle

It might be a combination of problems. First, file permission in the file system, second whether your account belongs to the right group (fmsadmin). You may check by running the Terminal app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal). Enter the following commands (enter key after every line):

cd /Library/FileMaker\ Server/Data/Databases

If you are using another path, use that one in the change directory (cd) command.

Then type

ls -l

You should see something like:

-rw-rw-r--  1 fmserver  fmsadmin  15564800 Apr  9  2011 FMServer_Sample.fp7

The first rw- triple after the initial - is the user permission (read and write), the next one for the group, the last one for all (other).

user is usually fmserver, group is fmsadmin

Second, check whether your account is part of the fmsadmin group: Type

id -nG

In the list, fmsadmin should occur.

First close the database using the FMS Admin Console.

You may then delete the database either by:

rm xxx.fp7

if your account is part of the fmsadmin group and group permission is set to rw- or rwx. If the latter is not the case (e.g. r--), you may change the group permission by:

chmod g+w xxx.fp7

and then repeat the rm command.

Or, if you know the root password, you may delete directly as superuser using:

sudo rm xxx.fp7

Beware, rm removes (aka deletes) without any backup (no file in the Trash). Otherwise, if you want to keep the file, use mv (for move) and specify source and target path.

Message was edited by: MartinBraendle

• 6. Re: Unable to Remove Database
                    IT_User

Hello Martin,

Thank you for your help.

I have this:

drwxr-xr-x  15 laura fmsadmin  510 Mar  7 16:52

for my one set of files, instead of fmserver.

fmsadmin group is included, for the next thing.

When I rm'd the file, and then went back into the admin console I received this error message instead:

Remove FNF.png