4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2012 10:20 AM by ErikWegweiser

Conditional formatting with gradients in FM12?

marianco

Is there a way to have conditional formatting using gradients in Filemaker 12? Currently, conditional formatting only does solid colors.

• 1. Re: Conditional formatting with gradients in FM12?
          ErikWegweiser

I don't see a way. Interesting also that for conditional formatting, the color picker does not include transparency level.

• 2. Re: Conditional formatting with gradients in FM12?
            mark_scott

Hi Erik,

My experience (Mac OS 10.7) is a bit different in that I can set conditional transparency for fill color, but not for text color.  And, of course, the conditional formatting editor doesn't yet allow any conditional settings for line color/weight/etc.  Bottom line is that it's still probably not possible to use conditional formatting to set conditional visibility of an object, unless it has no stroke or text to begin with.

Mark

• 3. Re: Conditional formatting with gradients in FM12?
              thosliot

Like Mark, (although using Mac OSX 10.6.8) conditional formatting lets me set the fill transparency level.

As a workaround for a conditional gradient, setting the conditional fill to transparent and putting the desired gradient behind the object works for me

cheers

Tom

On 10 Apr 2012, at 21:58, marianco wrote

Is there a way to have conditional formatting using gradients in Filemaker 12?  Currently, conditional formatting only does solid colors.

• 4. Re: Conditional formatting with gradients in FM12?
                ErikWegweiser

1. Ah, you and Tom are are correct (I'm using 10.6.8 also), in that the conditional formatting color picker for TEXT color does not allow transparency, while the color picker for BACKGROUND color does (both consistent with text objects), and the gradient option available to text objects is absent in conditional formatting.

2. Interesting that when selecting color in the Conditional Formatting dialoge or the Line/Fill color in the formatting bar, FileMaker's palete appears (in which you may then specify "other color" to summon the color picker), whereas in the Inspector, you get the color picker directly. You just need to get used to clicking on the Inspector to get the color picker or the formatting bar to get the palette, after you've selected an object.

3. I was about to give kudos for the color picker staying visible. However, I discovered this doesn't seem to work as (at least I) expected. I presumed that if the color picker is visible and you click on a layout object, the color picker reflects and acts on that object. Nope! You still need to click on the object THEN click color in the Inspector or "other color" in the formatting bar color palette before going to the color picker. Am I missing something here?