10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2012 7:59 PM by BenGraham

Scrolling portals fields,buttons visible and functional through sliding tab objects in FM Go 12 ??

BenGraham

Does anyone else have this issue? My FM 11 files are fine in FM Go. I have a sliding tab that hides the left anchored portal on many layouts. When the iPad is horizontal the portal is to the left of the sliding tab panel and is displayed. In FM Go 12 when the iPad is moved to vertical position the tab panel slides left and coverst the portal...However the text and buttons in the scrolling portal show through the tab panel in a ghost like fashion. The portals are functional, but are mixed in with what is on the tab panel. Is there a way to keep the scroll bar on the portal and not have it display through the tab panel the way it works in FM Go 11?

VIDEO CLIP HAS BEEN REPLACED. In case you tried to view before.

Thanks

View video here to see what is going on - also shows difference between Go 11 and Go 12 as well as fields and buttons that do not display through tab panel are still accessible through the tab object!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiZE1g8krjk

Original video posted only show portals through tab object on Go 12:

http://www.trulysimplesolutions.com/Site/Sample.html

• 1. Re: Scrolling portals that show through tabs in FM Go 12
          LyndsayHowarth

QuickTime won't show your .mov. It says "a necessary data reference could not be resolved"

- Lyndsay

• 2. Re: Scrolling portals that show through tabs in FM Go 12
            BenGraham

Hi Lyndsay,

Try the video clip now or try this link I just uploaded.

http://www.trulysimplesolutions.com/Site/Sample.html

Cheers,

Ben

• 3. Re: Scrolling portals that show through tabs in FM Go 12
              patricia

It looks to me that you have not adjusted your layout for the iPad vertical and FmGo is trying to fit all of the layout with in the dimensions for vertical screen and there is not enough room.

Open your layout in 12 Pro and click the dimension drop down at the top in the status bar, this gives you a guide on your layout for different places such as desktop ipad vertical and horizontal.

patricia

• 4. Re: Scrolling portals that show through tabs in FM Go 12
                BenGraham

Thanks Patricia, 

My tab was 2 pts below the suggested iPad yellow line, however I tried adjusting and it does not change the resulting seeping portal. This is one of many similar layouts in various contexts.  It works fine in FM Go 11 and does not in FM Go 12.  I have reported this as an issue with FM and they were able to reproduce the issue every time.  They have forwarded this to the R & D Testing department.  

So, now I wait and see what solution arises to resolve or work around this one. 

• 5. Re: Scrolling portals are visible through solid tab panels in FM Go 12 ??
                  BenGraham

The new update for FM Go does not resolve this issue.  It is a shame that the sliding tab block is not being supported in FM Go 12.  It is so useful in displaying portal data to the left of the main data screen.  This technique is also used by SeedCode on the mobile layouts. 

• 6. Re: Scrolling portals are visible through solid tab panels in FM Go 12 ??
                    patricia

Ben, I had this problem and resloved mine removing the scolling and set the portal to expand using resizing. This may not work for you if you have a lot of records in your portal but it satisfied my needs.

When it is a scrolling portal I leave the portal exposed.

patricia

• 7. Re: Scrolling portals are visible through solid tab panels in FM Go 12 ??
                      BenGraham

Thanks again Patricia for posting. It is good to know that a non-scrolling portal will not show through the tab panel.

I usually have a large number of records to view in the portal, unless filtered down with the portal filters, but even then the chances are there are more records to view than would display without the scrolling.  This is the last fix needed in Go 12 for my solution to work as designed for Go 11. I am getting close to setting a trigger and using 2 layouts, one for portrait and the other for landscape.  I prefer not as that trigger scipt is running in the background whenever on the layout. 

Ben

• 8. Re: Scrolling portals are visible through solid tab panels in FM Go 12 ??
                        AlanStirling

Hi Ben

Your issue with portals could be related to the different interaction of Portals on Tabbed areas in FMP12.

When you paste a portal onto a tabbed area, the resulting object doesn't necessarily land on the portal, but can be left in a 'Hover' mode, directly above the portal. 

So when you go into browse mode, the new portal and its objects show on each page of the portal - not showing through the tabbed areas, but as the topmost object, writing over any other items on each tab.

I have only read about this issue, but the fix appears to be to nudge the portal object by one pixel or more, using the cursor keys.  This causes the item to 'drop' onto the chosen tabbed area.

I would be pleased to hear if this does indeed resolve the problem that you are having.

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK.

• 9. Re: Scrolling portals are visible through solid tab panels in FM Go 12 ??
                          BenGraham

Hi Allen,

Thanks for your comments.  I did just go to try this and it is not the answer.  I have since found that it is not just the scrolling portal fields that 'bleed' through the sliding tab panel.  I have some portal filter fields above the portal and I discoverd if you touch the screen where they are located the fields will also function even though they do not display.  

Filemaker could replicate this problem in FM Go with the portals and notified the engineering department.  Although the latest updat to Go 12 did not address this issue.  I have not as of yet notified them that also fields permiate the tab barrier.

Also regarding the suggestion you made, the scrolling portal and the portal filters are not on a tab at all.  They are on the very back layer of the layout.  The sliding tab panel is the front most object which slides right when the iPad is turned to landscape mode because it is anchored right, top, bottom. It therefore expands to portrait hieght and slides right in landscape.

These layouts work great on Go 11 this bug came about with Go 12.  I have tried sending object to the back, and the tab panel to the front in FMP 12 incase that it was only a conversion error, but this also did not fix the error.  The fact that a new layout creating in 12 will produce the same result confirms this as being a software defect with Go 12.  It is a nice way to display hidden portals or other fields and objects when rotating the iPad.  I would like to continue with this method if FileMaker would resolve this.

Warmest regards,

Ben Graham

Adelaide, South Australia

• 10. Re: Scrolling portals are visible through solid tab panels in FM Go 12 ??
                            BenGraham

New discovery shown here in this video so you can see first hand what is going on in FM Go 12 compared to FM Go 11.

I have reported the fact that not only the fields show through and are functional on the scrolling portal, but fields that are not displayed are in fact functional through the sliding tab object.

See the video here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiZE1g8krjk