1 2 3 Previous Next 38 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 5:15 PM by Lemmtech

Remote Container

NKK

Friendly, Hello, to all professionals,

to me can hopefully help:

If I have properly understood the explanations to the new "Remote container ", is this function absolutely pointless in the FM server??

All files become on the calculator, on that of the FM servers runs stored and all external path data are ignored.

Should this be really in such a way, I ask myself whether does it make sense to bombard the record with with the files to themselves?

Greeting

Norbert

Sorry for my terrible englisch.

• 1. Re: Remote Container
          Stephen Huston

I will make a start on this, though your issue is not very clear to me.

The file settings for containers in FM12 should be set before the files are placed on FMServer 12. I believe that using the Server Admin panel to upload a file with external storage is supposed to handle to placement of the externally stored container fields.

I will be testing this in a few days. So far all of my container settings tests have been in single-user (non-server) mode.

If your problem is that you are using references-only to images, then all currently-supported versions of FM Server require that the actual image storage source files be in an area to which FM Server has read premissions.

More details of your problem may help identify the reason for whatever issues you are having.

• 2. Re: Remote Container
            NKK

I have a picture data bank. The pictures are stored by Script as a reference.

With Remote containers (without server) the pictures on an external hard disk are stored.

If the file is provided by FM server, the path does not function.

It is not posible to make an external path in the server.

This is not very logical for me. Why does this not go?

• 3. Re: Remote Container
              Stephen Huston

The path is different frfom your individual client machine to the stored images, than it is from the server to the stored images. If the path is not valid, they cannot be shown.

You may be able to get around this by using a calculation to change part of the file path in the record and use a calculation to generate a thumbnail container based on the recalculated filepath.

This is a known and long-standing issue with storing files by reference only.

• 4. Re: Remote Container
                GaryTate

I'm also struglling to see how I store files externally and on a different drive when running on Server. I've mounted the same external volume on my client machine & server and set up the contaciner to store data to it, the path is as follows-

/Volumes/FTP/Test

This works fine on the client machine, but when the solution is moved to Server is puts the folder in the following path-

MacMiniServer/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/Sample/RC_Data_FMS/Contacts/Volumes/FTP/Test

NOT on the external drive (which has been connected in the same way).

I'm running on Mac Lion

Are you supposed to be able to store files on a different drive? I hope so, otherwise it means you are limited to the size of your system drive that has to hold the OS & databases .... rather than the xTB RAID stuck on the side of it.

Cheers

Gary

• 5. Re: Remote Container
                  datastride

Gary,

As I understand it, Remote Container files will always be stored in a location that is relative to the database to which they are connected. Thus they will always be stored on the same logical drive as the database.

It seems this is a poor choice by FMI, but I think that where things stand at the moment. I would highly recommend you submit a suggestion that this be made more flexible in future releases. (I plan to do the same.)

I have some database where the main database is 5 or 6 GB, but the Remote Container data is hundreds of GB. I want to store the main database on very fast hardware (15K drives or SSDs), but there is no need for the Remote Container data to be stored on such fast (and more expensive) drives. I believe we simply need to make the case to FMI that we need additional flexibility.

Peace, love & brown rice,

Morgan Jones

FileMaker + Web:  Design, Develop & Deploy

Certifications: FileMaker 9, 10 & 11

<http://www.onepartharmony.com/> One Part Harmony 

Austin, Texas • USA

512-422-0611

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Remote Container
                    GaryTate

That's my understanding too ... when using Server. If you run it all under FM Pro you can put the container data on any drive you like, even on a drive stuck on another machine in another town (I just did it ;-)

This is as silly as the feeling that you should only ever want to put your backups in the same location as your original files.

Stupid.

OK, where do we put suggestions and is there any point?

Gary

• 7. Re: Remote Container
                      datastride

Gary,

I’m told that if we use this link, the messages we submit go to Product Management (the folks who drive new features):

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

Morgan Jones

Austin, Texas • USA

512-422-0611

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Remote Container
                        GaryTate

Suggestion posted, cheers Morgan.

• 9. Re: Remote Container
                          NKK

Suggestion posted too

• 10. Re: Remote Container
                            Stephen Huston

The new Server 12 also generates thumbnails on the server and transmits only the thumbnail across the network to the client. So, the comment:

• "I want to store the main database on very fast hardware (15K drives or SSDs), but there is no need for the Remote Container data to be stored on such fast...drives."

may not be taking into account the need for Server to read and process the original image as rapidly as possible to generate those thumbnails. I would expect the faster drive would be just as critical to fast server delivery of the thumbnails.

• 11. Re: Remote Container
                              datastride

Stephen,

Well, actually, I have considered the issue you mention in great depth …

The faster drives are very important for quick searches and retrieval (whether on indexed or unindexed fields), but of course containers aren’t searchable. (I use an indexing table to keep track of container data characteristics, and this is searchable.)

I’m told the server caches thumbnails, so once you’ve display a thumbnail of a given size, redisplay should a pretty low-overhead operation. Currently I use SuperContainer, which also cashes thumbnails. I have a script that runs in the wee hours that just steps through any newly-added records in my container-indexing table, displaying thumbnails of various sizes on a special layout built just for this purpose, pausing for a few seconds on each record before advancing to give the server time to render and save each thumbnail. (Some jpegs from a large-format scanner are over 200 MB in size, so generating the initial thumbnail can take a few seconds.) This way all thumbnails are ready for immediate display whenever a user might navigate to a layout that includes one.

So the capability of separating remote container data from the rest of the database is very valuable in a number of situations I’ve encountered.

Morgan Jones

Austin, Texas • USA

512-422-0611

• 12. Re: Remote Container
                                jerrysalem

Morgan

can you provide a reference for the statemement

Remote Container files will always be stored in a location that is relative to the database to which they are connected. Thus they will always be stored on the same logical drive as the database.

Reading the FM help, this dosn't seem to be the case.  You can set up an external database on a separate drive from the database. You can specify a path the the directly as an absolute path, a network path or a relative path.  These are just different ways to refer to the location.  They don't imply the drive has to be the same drive as the database.

On the MattSquared pod cast they specifically mentioned this feature too.  You can store your database and the images on two separage drives.

Jerry

• 13. Re: Remote Container
                                  datastride

Jerry,

Sorry. I should have been clearer.

I was describing the situation when a database is hosted. (That’s the only environment I work in, so I just forgot to mention this very important detail.)

This point was emphasized in a presentation given to our local user group last night by a senior FileMaker engineer. I specifically asked for clarification when this topic was brought up, just to be certain I understood the limitation.

Morgan Jones

Austin, Texas • USA

512-422-0611

• 14. Re: Remote Container
                                    jerrysalem

Morgan

That is totally oposite my understanding.

As soon as we get our FMS12 spun up, that will be the first thing I try out.

However it does sounds similar to the stuations with backups.  They must be on a hard wired drive.  Not remote nor removable.  I wonder if technically these are the same issue?

Jerry

1 2 3 Previous Next