5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2012 11:39 AM by trlewis3

Editing contents in Container field

trlewis3

I really like the changes in FM12 for Container fields. If I place a Word/Excel/PowerPoint file in the field, it's cool how I can view it and then open it in another program (Pages/Number/Keynote/DocToGo/QuickOffice - I'm using QuickOffice). But I can't figure out how to get it back into the container field once I have made changes. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Editing contents in Container field
          Stephen Huston

If you are storing only a reference to the container's file, the updated file will stay referenced, changes and all.

If, on the other hand, you are storing the actual document in the container field, not as a reference, then you will need to re-insert it into the field after the edits were saved. I don't know which version you are using, but FM12 has a Script Step to Insert from URL which can repopulate a container's contents based on the filepath which allowed you to open the file in the first place.

• 2. Re: Editing contents in Container field
            trlewis3

Stephen,

I'm trying to do this in FMGO not the desktop client.  Once I open the file in another app, it lets me make the changes.  But there is no way to save it back to FMGO.  If I save it in the app used to make the changes, there is no way for FMGO to see those files.

• 3. Re: Editing contents in Container field
              bradstanford

It seems that sandboxing in the iOS would prevent you from doing this. It prevents one app from accessing another app's stuff. This is also slowly being implemented in the MacOS as well, although as Stephen mentioned there is URL access that might help us there.

• 4. Re: Editing contents in Container field
                Stephen Huston

I read your message without noticing it had been posted to the GO Forum, so I failed to note the limitations of file manipulation in iOS as it wasn't part of the question as written. (I tend to read the time-ordered full forum lists rather than specific forum topics.)

The Insert from URL may still be helpful, but it will require the assistance of someone who knows about calculating  a URL to identify the iOS levels of file storage since we have no direct access to that file system. I recall someone posting that it could be done in some cases, but that was weeks ago, and probably on the GO Forum.

• 5. Re: Editing contents in Container field
                  trlewis3

Thanks for the input.