4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2012 3:02 AM by melastudio

FM12 SLOW - open remote with another geographical location

melastudio

Assuming that it should be safer and fast use Remote Desktop...

I've a good line and a good speed so I'm usual to do this way....

When I try to open remote a converted solution far away from me I noticed a really slow opening time: time doubled...

The soution is monofile, about 200Mb.

But the worst 2 things I've noticed are the following:

• opening the "Manage Layout" I grow old waiting (less than a Hundred of layouts, grouped in about 20 folders); Scrolling down throught them it's also boring...
      • When, in layout node, I move from a layout to another, if the target layout contains many tabs and in some of those tabs there are a portal, I se the command-period cursor for a long time; it happens after the rendering of the layout; I can stop it but sometines it takes a long before disappearing... Usually it appears when sorting portals but in BROWSE mode NOT IN LAYOUT mode... Sure: the default TAB is the lighter one!

In this extreme conditions the "slow down" of filemaker 12 becomes evident!

Hallo

Happy FileMaking

• 1. Re: FM12 SLOW - open remote with another geographical location
          Oliver_Reid

I have had no problem with a server 1500 miles (50 milliseconds) away: Performance on 12 matches the same app using 11  600 miles (25 milliseconds) away using similar hardware and bandwidth. This preliminary comparison suggests that FMS 12 is less sensitive to latency than FMS 11

Comparison of FMS performance depend on newtrok performance and server power at both ends. Unless the 2 servers have similar power, distance, and network connection speeds, comparisons such as yours can be misleading.

• 2. Re: FM12 SLOW - open remote with another geographical location
            melastudio

I work in a solution in this way since 2 years.

I know exactly how fast (or slow) it is.

Now I upgraded to FM12 and i've tried many connections and I can assure you that the 2 issue reported in the first post are really true...

- same line

- same Computer

- same amount of users (and also the users think it's all moving slowly in the database)

I've tried by night, disconnecting all idle user but no matter....

• 3. Re: FM12 SLOW - open remote with another geographical location
              melastudio

I've made another test:

2 windows in layout mode. I need to copy a portal and paste in another layout (2 different basetable so i'll have to doble click and update with the right relatinship)

When I paste FM starts a progress bar for sortin 4.000 records.

Lockind at the relationship graph I simply realize that if I was in Browse that relationship would show all the record and the sort order of the portal does the rest.

But in Layout mode a progress bar of sorting record it's not acceptable, isn't it?

P.S

This situation is amplified by the slowlyness of my connection: If you are on the same machine or on the same network, the progress bar probably doen't appear.http://www.melastudio.it/1.pdf

• 4. Re: FM12 SLOW - open remote with another geographical location
                melastudio

I'vereplicated the problem also in LAN

Screenshot.jpg

Coping a portal that show (6500 in my case) record from (Righe_Documenti_Fiscali) with sort (untored calculation) from "Fatture" and Pasting in "Dati_Interni_RDF".

As I paste start the sort...

P.S.

Show Example Data is OFF