3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2012 7:23 PM by muddylanding

GPS data in FileMaker GO

muddylanding

Can anybody show me a technique to get GPS data (location services data) from a mobile device into FileMaker GO? This has a large number of practical applications in all sorts of areas.

• 1. Re: GPS data in FileMaker GO
          cliff.zhou

Just learn about two mobile functions:

LocationValues

Location returns the current latitude and longitude.

LocationValues can get more detailed info.

• 2. Re: GPS data in FileMaker GO
            MichaelDolley

If you are using FileMaker Go 12 you can use the new Location functions; Location or LocationValues. Both of these are outlined in FileMaker 12 Help.

If you are using the older version of FileMaker Go, you will need to do this using a web page. I seem to remember that there was an issue with getting the location data in a web viewer, so you need to actually go out to the page and then return the geolocation data back to FileMaker using the FMP7Script protocol.

Example File

http://www.datacreations.com.au/Capture_Location.txt

You will need to replace the variable with your values. Unless I have got something wrong that code will run the specified FileMaker script with the variables $Lat and $Long

• 3. Re: GPS data in FileMaker GO
              muddylanding

thanks for that information - it answers my question completely in two different ways! I was using FM 11 and missing the built in functions for getting location data. I think I'll update to 12 to make this a simpler task.

Thanks guys!