appleseed

More than blocking port 5003

Discussion created by appleseed on Apr 16, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 by appleseed

Trying to share a single FM database on hosted FM server. Able to connect as expected from my machine on my network, but the other person involved who is connected via a UVerse business connection 800 miles away absolutely cannot "see" the database.

At first, it seemed to be a simple firewall issue. Opened port 5003, but that didn't allow her Mac to see it.

Worked with UVerse's tech support to configure the Motorola NVG510 so that Mac in question has it's own static IP address. Firewall turned off on the Mac (for this experiment at least). Does NOT see the database on the remote host. I uploaded a second database just for testing and it doesn't see that either. All the while, the database is accessible just fine from my network.

I've looked in her keychain, but there's no "bad" account/password stored there.

The Filemaker hosting service has been responsive, but is out of ideas and says the problem is with the the person's modem/router/network/firewall. I agree.

When I remote into her machine, and port scan the FM Server's port 5003, it comes back positive.

What else couild be interfering? The modem/router is rather limited on configurability, and is not something easily changed out.

My machine is runnig Mac OS X 10.6.8 and FM 11

Her's is running 10.6.8 and FM 9.0.3

Outcomes