12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2012 11:50 PM by RossHurley

Adding a Friend to Facebook

RossHurley

Hi all,

A client has asked whether she can have FileMaker add a new contact to their Facebook page. I'm not a Facebook user so aren't familiar with the process in Facebook but she's saying that it's similar to a person clicking 'Like' on their Facebook page to add themselves as a friend to another Facebook page. Or, a person can add themselves to your Facebook page by clicking a link on your web page. Can this be done directly from FileMaker, eg through FileMaker's web viewer? This is a recruiting company who wants to add people who send in new resumes to their Facebook page to enable them to keep in contact.

Thanks,

Ross Hurley

Adelaide, Australia

• 1. Re: Adding a Friend to Facebook
          MichaelDolley

I highly doubt this would be possible, because it sounds like what they want is to somehow make clients in their database like their Facebook page? You'd need the private Facebook log-in details for each user.

I think the best alternative might be to send a bulk html email to contacts with a facebook like button embedded.

• 2. Re: Adding a Friend to Facebook
            gregmartin64

Ross,

Facebook have an SDK for both desktop and mobile developers, the documentation is here http://developers.facebook.com/docs/sdks/

It has SDKs for iOS, PHP, JavaScript and Android.

Thanks,

Greg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adding a Friend to Facebook
              beverly

Yes, Greg, there is a great SDK for FB. However, Ross is trying to get the "friends" to like the "page" without the friends making the selection. I don't believe that FB would allow this. Otherwise anyone could set up a page and willy-nilly add people to it. I don't want to like something I might not really LIKE! I believe that each person must make the choice.

Can they set up a form for people to "like"? Yes. there are buttons in the SDK that are ready-to-roll. Still it's a user's choice, not the pages'.

Beverly

Ross,

Facebook have an SDK for both desktop and mobile developers, the documentation is here http://developers.facebook.com/docs/sdks/

It has SDKs for iOS, PHP, JavaScript and Android.

Thanks,

Greg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Adding a Friend to Facebook
                gregmartin64

No, you're quite correct, that's not possible, but I'm not sure that's quite clear in the question. But it's feasible send a friend request in response to a request. Whether the person accepts ( or has the setting to accept ), or not I suppose is up to them :-) You'll need to review the SDK for more information, as I've only worked with the Facebook SDK on Android and the iPhone.

Greg

• 5. Re: Adding a Friend to Facebook
                  beverly

Now, THAT makes more sense. Send a Friend Request to LIKE the page (from the email field in the FM database)!

yes, check the SDK documents.

Beverly

• 6. Re: Adding a Friend to Facebook
                    RossHurley

Thanks Greg and Beverley. I agree it is better for each person to choose to be a 'friend' of my client's Facebook. Putting a link in an email frrom FileMaker seems like the best choice. I had a look at the SDK but it appears to deal only with desiging web pages. I couldn' t see anything about putting links in email messages. Can you suggest how I can do this?

Ross

Beverly Voth wrote:

Yes, Greg, there is a great SDK for FB. However, Ross is trying to get the "friends" to like the "page" without the friends making the selection. I don't believe that FB would allow this. Otherwise anyone could set up a page and willy-nilly add people to it. I don't want to like something I might not really LIKE! I believe that each person must make the choice.

Can they set up a form for people to "like"? Yes. there are buttons in the SDK that are ready-to-roll. Still it's a user's choice, not the pages'.

Beverly

• 7. Re: Adding a Friend to Facebook
                      MichaelDolley

RossHurley wrote:

I couldn' t see anything about putting links in email messages. Can you suggest how I can do this?

You would need to either create a like button (http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like/) and then embed that into a HTML email or just send a standard link to the page (http//www.facebook.com/PAGE). It can't be done with plain-text email.

I haven't tried the embedded like button myself so I'm not sure if it works in an email as it is designed for web pages. Maybe do some research on "Email like buttons"

• 8. Re: Adding a Friend to Facebook
                        Malcolm

sending links in email - plain text email - has been possible since the early 90's if not before. 

If you want to trust the email client to do the right thing just jam the URL into the email. Most of the work pretty well. If you want to exercise a little old school caution wrap the URL in angle brackets <http://your.url.here>.

Malcolm

• 9. Re: Adding a Friend to Facebook
                          RossHurley

Thanks to all who have responded. But I was getting confused (not unusual for me) when thinking about the link required in an email. Of course, it is just a simple process of putting the link to the client's web page which has the Like button into the email. I'll go back to the client and see what she wants.

Ross

• 10. Re: Adding a Friend to Facebook
                            MichaelDolley

You can put a URL in the body of an email. By "it can't be done with plain text" I was referring to having either the embedded like button or a link such as "Click here to like our Facebook Page". I probably should have been more specific.

Ross, I hope the client is happy with the solution

• 11. Re: Adding a Friend to Facebook
                              beverly

Yes, put the "like" button the web site. or as Michael Dolley said:

"a standard link to the page (http//www.facebook.com/PAGE)." This is the straightforward link to Facebook. They would need to login to get to "like", but they should be able to see the "public" side of the page without login.

This is a page I help admin, for example:

https://www.facebook.com/WomenOfFileMaker

You can only see so much when NOT logged in, but the "LIKE" button is on the page. You will be prompted to sign up or log in to complete the "like", but it's that direct link.

On the other hand (OTOH), sending them a link to the client's website which contains a "LIKE" button may have a few advantages:

1. there may be other information that is only on the website and not on the FB page (note, there can be a link to the website on the FB page, as in my example above)

2. the client may have internal ways of tracking from the website to FB, in addition to FB tracking the link

HTH,

Beverly

Thanks to all who have responded. But I was getting confused (not unusual for me) when thinking about the link required in an email. Of course, it is just a simple process of putting the link to the client's web page which has the Like button into the email. I'll go back to the client and see what she wants.

Ross

• 12. Re: Adding a Friend to Facebook
                                RossHurley

I sent a test file to the client which generates an email with a link to a web page. The client is delighted and wants it incorporated into her system. Actually I used your Women of FileMaker link, Beverly, in my test as I thought my client would be interested. She's a client now but we first met on a course Michele Olson ran in sleepy Adelaide, Oz, over 20 years ago. The client eventually thought it was best to leave FileMaker development in other hands while she concentrated on her business. Thanks for sharing your site with a 'bloke' Beverly.

Regards,

Ross Hurley

Adelaide Australia

Beverly Voth wrote:

Yes, put the "like" button the web site. or as Michael Dolley said:

"a standard link to the page (http//www.facebook.com/PAGE)." This is the straightforward link to Facebook. They would need to login to get to "like", but they should be able to see the "public" side of the page without login.

This is a page I help admin, for example:

https://www.facebook.com/WomenOfFileMaker