3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 8:35 PM by usbc

FMS 11: Client(FMP11) on Windows 7 data not visible

usbc

I need some help, please.

I have a new client who is hosting their solution on a new, dedicated Windows 7 Professional computer in their HQ building,

Their users have new Dell laptops on Windows 7. (all the FileMaker software is up to date)

On two separate occations while working with one of their users (me using FMA 11 on a Mac 10.6) I will populate a field with content and the Win 7 user can not see the new data.

I know that the data has been committed and can even do a find on it, etc. I can move over to one of my Win XP machines / login and see that data. But still not visible to the Win 7 user.

Further, the aggreagate totals (these are number fields) on the XP and Mac computers adjust to the new data, as expected. But not on the Win 7 machine. (including the next day)

Everything else seems to work fine (excluding some printing issues). The connection appears to be stable and the speed is acceptable, etc. .

Short of reinstalling everyone's applications, I've done all the things I can think of like restarting, window refresh, finding a different set of records and returning.

The commonalities of these two occasions are limited to both being number fields. One is a calculation / one was a straight number field but did a Replace Content to the whole table. These two occations happened in different tables of a single file solution. Other operations have and continue to work as expected. This is a mature solution and working fine on other mixed platforms.

I'm stuck.

• 1. Re: FMS 11: Client(FMP11) on Windows 7 data not visible
          wimdecorte

are you 100% certain that the Win7 machine is connected to the same file?  No backups floating around that could be opened by mistake?  Check out the file references in the files.

• 2. Re: FMS 11: Client(FMP11) on Windows 7 data not visible
            usbc

Thanks. I had not checked the file references.

I have now. There was one legacy (ghost-ish) reference which did show a reference to a file which I use from time to time to import a script.

But the file name table name has nothing like it in the active solution. And path to a external hard drive it used make it hard to believe that the data got misdirected to there. (but I'm open to be convinced)

That said, I do have files which I could navigate to on my local network which share names but none that the users could get to.

However, I am 100% certain that none of the user computers would have any such old backup files etc. The Client's computer running FMS actually does have the normal BackUp folder and I just noticed that a folder for which I stage FTP (Fetch) files in does in fact have a zipped copy of the solution. I guess I don't know if Win 7 deposits any sort of temp file when one does a send to Zip Archive, etc.

Are you suggesting that a hosted file on FMS can still find and target a same named file without an affirmative action on my part ?

Thanks for taking an interest. My worry is that I can't replicate the problem on demand. There have been lots of sessions wherein a user and I will be logged in simultaneously as they get their sea-legs on the biz logic. I just happened to catch this and the tabels in question are Invoices and payments.

Chuck

• 3. Re: FMS 11: Client(FMP11) on Windows 7 data not visible
              usbc

AS a follow up, I have been trying to replicate my issue of Win 7 clients not seeing data changes as they happen.

While I have not seen the exact same fault, I have seen some major delays on the W7 machines which I don't see on the XP or Mac computers.

I can fill a room with what I don't know about Win 7. However, I'm begining to suspect that when there is a lag in the completion of a process (like the first time a field is searched on) the OS seems a hike to a dream state. I haven't yet found any literature to explain any differences between the XP and W7 systems in this regard.

Are a lot of folks using Win 7 with no issues ?