12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2012 12:42 AM by MarcoAntonioPerez

Blank Portals in upgraded database in filemaker 12

MarcoAntonioPerez

We have updated our database from filemaker 11 to filemaker 12, and all the portal have blank lines where records are supposed to be. And if you click in the fields the data suddenly appears. I attached an example.

We have many portals in the database and it happens everyone of them.

• 1. Re: Blank Portals in upgraded database in filemaker 12
          DaveRawcliffe

Marco,

I don't have the answer. But, can cooborate the blank row problem.

Hopfully I am not speeking out of turn. I had conversations with Dave Simerly regarding this issue and files sent. It has been bumped to the design team.

One of my initial problem was Hairline portals, but believe there is more to this than that alone.

Check the Navigate script in Debugger on one of the "Blank" rows. A value is being cast even though nothing is showing.

I may be missing something. But with this problem I am still in FMA 11 awaiting next update.

Attached is a Zip file containing Pre & Post conversion files illustrating this.

Dave

• 2. Re: Blank Portals in upgraded database in filemaker 12
            Stephen Huston

I have converted a set of 28 files, full of portals, and have not yet encountered any blank or whited-out portal issues.

Admittedly have not checked them all, but a spot check of those most-used showed no portal problems after conversion, so this is not simply a matter of conversion alone causing this in your systems. Will look at David's samples when time allows.

• 3. Re: Blank Portals in upgraded database in filemaker 12
              Stephen Huston

I have downloaded and opened the files David sent. The original portals display without any problem -- identically in both FP7 and FMP12 files.

I am viewing on a Mac 27inch 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac (4 GB RAM), OSX 10.6.8.

FM11.0v4 and FM12.0v1 (Final Pulbic Release, NOT the pre-release version of 12)

I am seeing no difference in the files  supplied (other than the far right column which is labelled as work done after conversion).

I suspect there may be OS or font issues involved.

What OS and FM version revs are you guys on?

• 4. Re: Blank Portals in upgraded database in filemaker 12
                DaveRawcliffe

Stephen,

Mac 10.6.8,  iMac24, 2.8 GHz intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB Ram

FM 11.0v4 and FM12.0v1  (Final Pulbic Release, NOT the pre-release version of 12)

Font is Verdana.

Look at left side HAIRLINE Portals in the fmp12 version. Note the 1/2 portal row.

This does not happen on 1 pt portal rows.

I have sent these to others as weel as FMI & they all see / report the same anomolies

Stephen,

1. Take apart & reassemble one of the 1 pt converted portals & see what happens.

2. Build a portal from the parts on the right side & see what happens.

Dave

• 5. Re: Blank Portals in upgraded database in filemaker 12
                  Stephen Huston

I will have to try this tomorrow.

My FM12 system is currently tied up doing a huge scripted import of images as part of a test of secured storage methods, and won't free up until late tonight. I'll be back...

• 6. Re: Blank Portals in upgraded database in filemaker 12
                    MarcoAntonioPerez

We are using FileMaker Server 12, FileMaker Advanced 12.0v1.

It happens in two computers:

1) Mac Book Air 13" Intel Core i5 1,7 Ghz, 4 Gb RAM with Mac OS X 10.7.3

2) Mac Pro 2 X Dual Core Intel Xeon 2 Ghz, 7 Gb RAM with Mac OS X 10.7.3

Font used: Arial 14pt

I don't think is OS related.

Fortunately I have a script for all presentations to adjust screen size and I added a Refresh Window command, and we can see all the portals content now, but it slows down the database a little bit. Temporary Solution.

• 7. Re: Blank Portals in upgraded database in filemaker 12
                      Stephen Huston

OK, I got back to it this morning, and Yes, I do see a variation between the apparent height of portal rows after conversion. But no plank portals.

I have  converted many dozens of files, and saw lots of minor shifts in text, but none of those shifst were enough to affect the functionality or useability of the converted system just as it was after conversion.

The reported issue at the start of this thread was blank portal rows -- a problem  I don't see  in the files provided, nor in any of our own file conversions.

Our original author indicates his blank portal row problem goes away if the window is adjusted or refreshed.

Dave, please let us know when you hear back from the FM team on this.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Blank Portals in upgraded database in filemaker 12
                        MarcoAntonioPerez

Ok, I have made a skeleton database copy, and it is uploaded.

There is a portal in the first screen and in the Empresas presentation. If you open the database initially appears ok, but if you go to Empresas, lines are missing in the portal and if you come back to Menu with the home button lines are missing in the portal, I have uploaded screenshots too.

missing lines 1.jpg missing lines 2.jpg

• 9. Re: Blank Portals in upgraded database in filemaker 12
                          DaveRawcliffe

Morning Stephen,

I seriously doubt if I'll here back from FMI. "Report" is in the system.

True a conversion per se in my case does not result in blank portal row as it did in Marco's case.

However, what I was trying to display in my Converted files was;

1. The problem with .fp7 portals built with hairlines: see Hairline Portal

2. That 1 pt portals did not display this "truncated" portal row problem.

In puting this sample together, I found;

1. If I disassembled a 1 pt Portal to make fixes or for whatever and then reassemled it, only 1 Portal row displays: see Duplicate Portal

2. If I build a 1 pt Portal from the converted parts, only 1 Portal row displays: see Build Portal

3. If I build a 1 pt Portal from Native .fmp12 parts, only 1 Portal row displays: see Native Portal

(just built for this email)

Dave

• 10. Re: Blank Portals in upgraded database in filemaker 12
                            MarcoAntonioPerez

Well testing portals and creating new ones actually I discover that the missing lines are the ones after the window is maximized. I have that script that maximizes every window and if the portal fits in the screen you can see those lines but since the portal adjusts the height automatically the next lines are missing. That is the reason the refreshing the window after the height adjustment works.

I have created a new portal from scratch and it happens the same.

• 11. Re: Blank Portals in upgraded database in filemaker 12
                              DaveRawcliffe

Hi Marco,

It is good to know that you found the source of your problem and can take appropriate steps to compensate.

Dave

• 12. Re: Blank Portals in upgraded database in filemaker 12
                                MarcoAntonioPerez

It is solved because I am very lucky to have a script that runs in every presentation, but it is FileMaker 12 issue, we need an update for this. I use auto height adjust in many projects and I cannot tell to my clients that they need to pay extra to solve this problem with FileMaker.