6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 3:39 AM by disabled_xaviervb

Save corner radius when changing theme?

When changing from one theme to another all the corner radius settings are lost.

Even when I come back to the original theme...

I hoped I could switch themes depending on my customer...

Are themes just a help to get started when developing?

Why put it as a menu item instead of an option when creating a new layout?

• 1. Re: Save corner radius when changing theme?
          beverly

As a long time designer/developer, I'd say YES, just to get started. I'll still use my own designs.

However, I'll also say that this is probably just phase one and a good step. Just keep that in mind. Until we have a GOOD way to create and alter themes, we must work with what we have. They may NOT be what you want, either.

The old themes (pre 12) were set up to not change (yippee we can now change them!), but just used upon creation of the layout.

My wish: create a layout & be able to make a 'theme' from my design.

Beverly

• 2. Re: Save corner radius when changing theme?
            MicheleOlson

Now you've got it. Excellent wish.

Kind of like my wish that we could customize the Toolbar with our own buttons that attached to our scripts.

• 3. Re: Save corner radius when changing theme?
              beverly

+1 on that Michele!

Beverly

Now you've got it. Excellent wish.

Kind of like my wish that we could customize the Toolbar with our own buttons that attached to our scripts.

• 4. Re: Save corner radius when changing theme?
                Stephen Huston

Corners are part the CSS code, so applying a different theme means accepting all of those as default on all objects controlled by the theme's CSS.

Changes made after a theme is applied are saved with the layout, and appear to overwrite those defaults. However, applying a different theme will impose the CSS of that theme on everything it controls. FM12 themes are an all or nothing option when applying one. If themes respected previous manual edits, you couldn't really apply a full theme to a previously-customized layout.

I plan to use themes as a starting point only, which means that, if I apply a new theme, I get to start over with customizing as well.

Not optimal, but understandable if one expects themes to impose a unified appearance.

• 5. Re: Save corner radius when changing theme?
                  thosliot

You might also note the following from the on screen help page entitled "Changing the theme of a layout":

"If you change the theme of a layout, then undo the change, any custom styles set on objects (including locked objects) reappear on the layout, but the new theme remains. If you undo again, the layout reverts to the previous theme."

I haven't investigated this deeply but it seems that if you, for example, change only the corner radius of an object, change the theme and then undo (once) the object will have all attributes of the new theme but with your specified custom corner radius - maybe this will help you

cheers

Tom

• 6. Re: Save corner radius when changing theme?

Hi Tom,

Yes you're right, I found the answer yesterday evening late on https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/78214 and by watching the movie on http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2095A0D8D15CF4FD&feature=plcp

You have to save your theme holding ctrl + alt + shift + ctrl first,  then apply the new theme and then do the undo.

Thanks

Xavier