4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 3:13 AM by disabled_xaviervb

Change icon when changing state

My set of icons are all kept in a table so that I can change an icon throughout the entire solution (using container fields) if I want to.

It would be nice if I could choose different icons for different states ( normal, hover, pressed). Now with filemaker 12 I can change the background color (witch I have to redefine for each occurence) but that's not as esthetic.

Anyone has a good idea?

• 1. Re: Change icon when changing state
          Stephen Huston

If you use the fill with image option for an object/button, I think you may be able to define the fill separately for each state of the object/button.

• 2. Re: Change icon when changing state
            mark_scott

Hi Stephen and Xavier,

Tested (just now) . . . and confirmed!  (Thanks for the prodding; I'd assumed this should work and been meaning to test it.)  I think this will be a wonderful UI addition.  One could, for example, do something like Adobe's UI in Illustrator, etc., where toolbar icons are gray scale in "normal" state, but become fully colored on "hover."  In most cases you'll probably want to set the fill sub-option to "Original Size," which will center the icon in the button/object, although "Slice" will have its uses here, as well.

Mark

• 3. Re: Change icon when changing state
              Stephen Huston

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the confirmation. It's staggering how many things I don't have time to test while busy testing others.

Stephen

• 4. Re: Change icon when changing state

Hi Stephen,

I might not have been very clear in my question or I don't understand the answer. Of course I can

"use the fill with image option for an object/button for each state" and this is a great new functionality. But my icons are in a related table and I access them through container fields.

I would like a "fill with related container content option for an object/button for each state".

I would like to modify only once the icon and that the change is reflected on all the layouts using that icon.

If someone has a workaround or a way I can select only an image  path that would be great.