AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMSA12 & PHP - at wits end

Question asked by PowerSlave on Apr 18, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 by PointInSpace

Hi all

I have put myself between a rock & a hard place by going live at my workplace with 12 after extensive testing , then finding out that once over 20 clients have connected to the database, the web publishing starts to choke : Let me explain..

I have been running FMSA11 since it was released on a decent dual quadcore windows box , running server 2008 (32bit) and web publishing has been fine. The site assistant was just the thing we needed to get jobs done quickly (I'm missing the PHPSA already...) and it just 'worked'.

I then received the pre-release 12 server advanced from FMI , and running 2 clients & one iPad simultaneously (the pre-releases limit) , everything ran fine there too. This why I decided to install retail & go live with 12.

Since going live with 12 , FMP clients run really well (tiny bit slower but we can live with that) , but some strange things happen once 20 or so clients & 5 or 6 PHP clients connect to the databases. The clients seem to stick around for around 10 minutes (even with the FM Server sample PHP technology test) after the request. Hitting refresh on the browser brings the results up immediately and without creating another FMPHP client session , it seems to use the original one. This client will stick around for 10 minutes , then disappear. This is very different behaviour to FMSA11 where you were lucky to see a php client in the list unless it ran a complex search , and even then it would disappear after 2 seconds.

Once there are about 4 or 5 of these 'semi-ghosts' in the admin console , the PHP engine starts to throw error 500 & 802 errors to the clients and the logs in the FMS Console, to all web published databases.10 minutes later , they are all working again. Killing the ghost clients does not fix the problem (though it does really kill thenm unlike FMSA11). I did a bit of research and found that copying the FileMaker folder and Filemaker.php from the new api into the root of the website seemed to help with many problem web pages that were originally created with the site assistant. However the persistent clients are still happening. So through desperation , I created a VM running on a Citrix Xen server , gave it 8GB , 4 processors , fresh install of MS Server 2008R2 64 bit , and then FMS12A , and it's doing it too!!!

I can't make it any more 'clean' than that , so does anyone else have the problems of the 'semi-ghost clients' and the web server randomly not processing WPE requests ?

I have checked the logs for PHP , IIS & Filemaker , and the only reference is the Filemaker log showing an '802' error (file not found).

Thanks in advance...

Outcomes