4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2012 9:14 PM by godeak

Making/modifying lists of fields

godeak

I'm a relative novice trying to create a research database for a fairly large behavioral research study. Some of the tests we are using have Excel templates that could serve as lists of FMP fields. We would like to create new tables in the DB from these XLS (or XLSX) files, such that all the Excel columns would become new fields in the FMP table. To manually enter all of the fields would be extremely time-consuming; there are many hundreds of items. I feel like this should be so easy, and perhaps I'm being dense, but an hour+ of tries, and a search on this forum, hasn't yielded any good solutions. Is there a simple trick to this?

Another, related question--also simple, but the chump is stumped--is whether there's a way to change properties of a group or set of fields, while making a db? That is, say I want to change the validation criteria for a subset of columns. Is there an easy way to do this, without going field-by-field and changing that parameter in each one's dialogue box?

Thanks