ravgup

FMPA Portal Problem

Discussion created by ravgup on Apr 19, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 by Stephen Huston

I have just moved from File Maker II to FMPA12. I do miss the old ease of making a running database without any coding. I also miss using Work and excel files as a template for the layout. However FMPA12 is much more powerful and can produce elegant solutions if one spends the time.

My Question is how do I update a Child of Child table. If I put the Child in a Portal I cannot have a Portal within a Portal or can I, If I put one field of Child of Child in the first Portal, I get duplicate records of the assert in the Child of Child. I am using the Invoice starter in FMPA12 to build on. In Customer table I have a Portal of Client, This Client is then linked to an Assert. Because Client to Assert is many to many I have an intermediate table to allow one to many using KP of Child and KP of Assert with Customer ID KP in all. I was thinking of using a window to show the Client when user wants to update the Client in the Customers layout and using scripts to put the values in the Child of Child Table.

Another question to experienced developers is would it be better to immediately change the Relationship graph to Anchor Squid model? Or should I continue with Chaos model and use satellite for special usages.

Thanks

Ravi

Outcomes