13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 5:24 AM by Fred(CH)

Drag and Drop a reference only?

bmcintosh

Is it possible to drag and drop a file into a container and have it place only a reference to that file, rather than embedding the file which makes it available to open only if you export the contents.

• 1. Re: Drag and Drop a reference only?
          RPaulH

Did anyone ever answer you? Would like to know that myself.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Drag and Drop a reference only?
            MartinCrosman

I am assuming FileMaker 12.

Here what I have found. If you have not specified that the data is to be stored externally (Options) then drag and drop embeds it. It this open has been set then drag and drop copies it as a reference and moves the file to the referenced location.

Martin

• 3. Re: Drag and Drop a reference only?
              Stephen Huston

It sounds like there is some confusion between internal and external container storage with FMP12 files, and the separate issue of whether the container data is stored (either internal or external) as opposed to being saved only as a reference to the original file on the disk, in which case it doesn't enter the FMP12 file storage system, just a reference is saved.

The only time I see the option to store only as a reference to the original file is during an  import process (single record Insert image, or batch import of records). I do not find any option to save only a reference to the original when using drag and drop.

I suspect you would need to use the Insert menu rather than drag and drop to get that option. That's the only way I have found other than a scripted import.

I suspect you might be able to set up a onObjectModify script trigger on a container field which would clear the dragged/dropped image and open the Insert File dialog if you want to allow only references, but that effectively disables the drag and drop functionality and would not be particularly elegant.

• 4. Re: Drag and Drop a reference only?
                MartinCrosman

Right. But if you do opt to store the container data externally you can drag and drop the file into the container field and it is not embedded. It is entered in the FMP12 file storage system and just a reference is saved. That seems to answer the question as it is possible.

• 5. Re: Drag and Drop a reference only?
                  bmcintosh

BUt if the only item stored in the container field is a reference when the file is dragged and dropped, then it should open the file when double clicked, and it doesn't. Doesn't this suggest that it is not jus a reference to the file?

• 6. Re: Drag and Drop a reference only?
                    Stephen Huston

Again, there is clearly confusion between storing a container as a reference only vs storing it in the FM container storage area, which can be either internal or external. Storing only as a reference during an import or insert does not move the container data into the FM container storage area, regardless of whether that area is embedded or part of Open or Managed storage.

Storing the file in the FM data area (internal or external) is not different than storing only a reference to the file on the drive, which is not within the FM data storage area. They are entirely different options.

• 7. Re: Drag and Drop a reference only?
                      MartinCrosman

I think you are right the terminology around this is confusing at best. Here's my stab at this again.

Embedded - the file is stored within the datebase

By Reference - The file is stored in the container as reference

External Open

External Secure

The last two would fall into your category as Managed storage. Links to these files are built into FileMaker's file structure.( I am trying not to use the word reference here as it is different.)

Drag and drop PDF into Container field (getastext) returns Filename. File is embedded. Double clicking will not open the PDF. Doesn't matter is Optomise set to interactive or not.

Drag and drop does not save the file to the container  as a reference. Click on field and Insert File (as a reference). Getastext returns path to file. Double clicking on the container will open the file.

Drag and drop PDF into a Container with External storage set to secure and the field not optomized for PDF. File is copied to Secure storage directory. Double clicking on the field will also not open the file.

Drag and drop PDF into a Container with External storage set to secure and the field for PDF. File is copied to Secure storage directory. Double clicking on the field will also not open the file. You can navigate within the field or use the stick pin icon to see file in own window or download file.

I have played around with External Open container yet but expect the behviour to be same as Secure.

Conclusion: Can't drag and drop into a container and double click on the container to open the file not matter what. Could use scripts to make it appear to the case.

Using a mac with OS.10.7.4 FM12A

• 8. Re: Drag and Drop a reference only?
                        Stephen Huston

I would reorganize and clarify your 4 types of container storage:

1. By Reference - The file is not stored in the container or the file, only a reference link is recorded to the original source location
                        2. Embedded - the file is stored within the datebase without any external storage structure
                        3. External Open - the file is stored within the datebase within an navigable external storage structure
                        4. External Secure - the file is stored within the datebase within an encoded external storage structure

It's important to remember that both of the External storage options treat the storage are as part of the FM data, not something external to the FM file system. The fact that it is visible externally doesn't mean it's not part of the FM data.

Drag and drop will always be storage options 2, 3, or 4, depending on how you have set your Manage>Containers options. Inserting or Importing "By Reference" (1) will never appear as part of the FM external storage (3 or 4).

Moving or editing anything within storage types 3 or 4 will result in missing or "tampered" data for the FM file itself. The only safe way to use option 3, Open External storage, is to copy files from it to somewhere outside of the entire FM storage area, work on the copy, and then, if you want that stored in the FM file, re-insert it via the container field, not via the OS navigation system to the sotrage area.

• 9. Re: Drag and Drop a reference only?
                          listen2earth

i am in a position where i cannot test.

does referencing mean it also provides a thumbnail ?

thanks

robert

• 10. Re: Drag and Drop a reference only?
                            Stephen Huston

You control thumbnail options in the settings under managing Thumbnails.

I believe thumbnails can be generated from referenced container data, but don't have access to test this where I am today. If so, it may be a bit slower if your Thumbnail management settings do not store the thumbnail, but regenerate it as needed. Sotred thumbnails to affect file size, but, if needed regularly, are worth storing for performance.

• 11. Re: Drag and Drop a reference only?
                              listen2earth

thank you, i have to study more about thumbnails for images ! just upgraded from 11.

picking up bits & bites of info where ever i can.

does sounds like can only use Thumbnails if you have referenced your data?

Question for mr remains how do you view their full size ?

on iOS device you simply click a Thumbnail and get origional size.

i guess nothing built into FILEMAKER for this so how you view full size? have to

script them ?

thanks every little bit helps.

• 12. Re: Drag and Drop a reference only?
                                Stephen Huston

If you are using a reference, you should also capture the filepath into a text field. You can then use the Open_URL script step functionality to open the original file in its native apllication via a calculated URL string. (I believe there are some examples in the FM Help.)

• 13. Re: Drag and Drop a reference only?
                                  Fred(CH)

I think It would be cool to have this option in FileMaker 14.

I just submit a suggestion within the appropriate page :

Product

FileMaker Pro

Title

Ability to Drag and drop a file Reference

Description

Drag and Drop a container, introduced in 12, is a very cool way to insert a file onto a container field. The new advanced insert file dialog options also. I would like to have a combination of both, that means the ability for each field, to tell what is the expected behavior of a drag and drop. At least, i need a new option available for instance on the inspector, that allow to force the insertion of a file reference when the enduser is dragging a file onto the container. Or, as another and minimal workaround, i can also imagine a new attribute available within the GetContainerAttribute (<Field> ; "originalsourcepath"), that let me to deal with a post insertion routine.

EDIT : You could submit also, thus we have tiny chance...

1 of 1 people found this helpful