10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2012 2:33 PM by Stephen Huston

Stencils?

kaostika

Hi, I am using the stencil as a guide for my layouts. How ever I have noticed they dont fit on the screen. It seems that the scroll bars are off screen on a mac and dont render the size well on a PC. Any ideas on this?

Oreste

• 1. Re: Stencils?
          hschlossberg

Yes, they were designed as though the intent was to be able to turn off scrollbars and title bar.  As they are the stencils only reflect what will fit on screen, not how much you can actually put in your layout.  The exception might be for FM Go stencils, since horizontal and vertical scroll bars aren't an issue there.

• 2. Re: Stencils?
            kaostika

Ok how big are these webscroll bars so that I can adjust.

Oreste

• 3. Re: Stencils?
              Stephen Huston

The Stencil tool menu also supports one Custom... size which you can set yourself based on the screen you want to match instead of one of FM's default sizes. You may have to experiment a bit to get the right measurements.

You can use Get (WindowHeight) and Get (WindowWidth) on a screen layout to obtain the values as you adjust the window in browse mode.

• 4. Re: Stencils?
                kaostika

I guess the question I should ask is why make a stencil the wrong size.  Why make a 1024 * 768 if I cant use it.

• 5. Re: Stencils?
                  Stephen Huston

The standard stencils were designed to match specific common screen sizes, which may not be your screen size.

Another question would be, Why pick a  stencil that doesn't work for you?

Trial and Error -- we're all going through a re-learning process with 12.

• 6. Re: Stencils?
                    kaostika

Ok let me rephrase.   I have a screen that is 1024 by 768. I choose the stencil labeled 1024 by 768, foolishly thinking that this is the right stencil to be used.  But lo and behold I am deceived.  The stencil labeled for the screen size I have is not the right one.  I need to use some cray sustom size. 

Let me ask  what stencil should I use when I pick 1024 by 768.  Under what conditions should I use the stencils given to me by FileMaker

Oreste

• 7. Re: Stencils?
                      Stephen Huston

I really don't mean to sound glib...

Test the stencils to see how they work for you. If they don't, figure out with the Get Functions what your screen size settings need to be, and create the one Custom stencil size to work for you. At that point the option to use that Custom stencil down the road will  be a big help.

FM has, in most past versions, offered default values which work for some people on a variety of things. One default they've offered has never worked for me -- Avery Label layouts by Avery number in the New Layout wizard. Avery sizes with the correct label number always required tweaking by a pixel or two and readjusting the column widths manually.

FM defaults are just another type of tool to help simplify getting to a solution, not the solution  itself. Once you have a custom stencil that works for you, having a tool to choose it any time you want it will still be useful.

• 8. Re: Stencils?
                        hschlossberg

Stephen, I think the problem that Oreste is pointing to here is that NONE of the stencils are EVER the correct size to design a layout to.  The stencils don't account for scrollbars, title bars, the FM status bar, etc.  So layouts will ALWAYS need to be a little smaller then the stencils would otherwise have us believe.

That said...Oreste... I don't know about Mac, but on Windows the scrollbars and header bar can be of different sizes on different machines, depending on the version of Windows and the Windows themes and theme elements applied.  That makes it near impossible for FileMaker to do what we both want UNLESS they also give us the option to completely turn off scrollbars and title bar...which I believe SHOULD have been an option in FM12's new window formatting options, but it was not.

Howard

• 9. Re: Stencils?
                          kaostika

Yes, So that is why I am confused.  When they sat around the table and said lets put in some stencils, why did they put them in wrong.  That being said, can we change them?

Oreste

• 10. Re: Stencils?
                            Stephen Huston

They didn't put them in wrong, except in the sense that there was no way to know what right would be on any given system.

No, you can't change them, but, as said befor, you can create your own Custom stencil that will work for you. Then that tool will let you use that stencil from then on as a useful guide -- something new in 12.