4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2012 4:51 PM by zinny

creating a script for using an iphone to text contacts

zinny

Hi,

I have not upgraded to 12 yet but I am wondering if there is a script step that allows you to text messages to phone numbers in the new version?

If not is there a work around that anyone has discovered that would work on 11?

Thanks

r

• 1. Re: creating a script for using an iphone to text contacts
          databuzz

Hi zinny,

I assume you're referring to using FileMaker Go on the iPhone to send a txt message to a contact where their cell/mobile number is stored in a field in the FileMaker database? This is possible with FileMaker Go v11 and v12.

To do this you need to create a new button that uses the Open URL script step. Make sure you tick the "Perform without dialog" option, then click the Specify button.

- instead of entering a normal Web address URL (e.g. www.filemaker.com) we're going to use the SMS protocol and the mobile phone number which will tell the iPhone to create a new SMS in the Messages application. You should also remove any invalid characters, such as spaces, using the Filter function. The URL should look like this:

"sms://" & Filter ( Contacts::Mobile Phone ; "+-.0123456789" )

When you click the button on your iPhone it will create a new blank SMS in the Messages application, ready for you to type the message and send.

HTH,

Andrew

FileMaker 8/9/10/11 Certified Developer

Databuzz

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Phone: +61 2 9484 6565

Mobile: +61 418 468 103

Email: andrew@databuzz.com.au

http://www.databuzz.com.au

• 2. Re: creating a script for using an iphone to text contacts
            Malcolm

I have not upgraded to 12 yet but I am wondering if there is a script step that allows you to text messages to phone numbers in the new version?

No need for v12. You do this using a gateway on the web. Do a google search to locate service providers. You simply address an ordinary email to the gateway and they convert the email to an SMS.

Malcolm

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: creating a script for using an iphone to text contacts
              jbante

I recommend this approach over Open URL ["sms:..."] for situations where you want FileMaker to specify the message, since the sms URL scheme on iOS does not allow you to specify a message.

• 4. Re: creating a script for using an iphone to text contacts
                zinny

Thanks, it doesn't fit my current need but I will definitely use it elsewhere.