2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2012 4:40 PM by jgalt

Will FMP on Windows ever support Adobe Illustrator graphics?

jgalt

I can copy and paste an Adobe Illustrator graphic (with transparency) into my layout and it displays perfectly in FMGO12 and FMP12 for Mac, but it looks like garbage in FMP for Windows. On Windows the transparency is ignored and it displays as a low-res raster image (not a resolution independent vector graphic). Is this a limitation of the Windows operating system?

• 1. Re: Will FMP on Windows ever support Adobe Illustrator graphics?
          itraining

Hi J

I cannot confirm if the display is a limitation of the Windows OS or FileMaker Pro.

However, can you resort to PNG graphics to resolve the transparency issue?

The history of FMP has seen some quirky methods to get transparent graphics into FMP databases.

Last century, in the '90's, we used ClarisWorks (Painting module) to lasso select, copy and paste into FileMaker layout (Layout Mode).

Think the web browser, where there are restrictions on the graphics that are supported, based upon commonly supported standards.

PNG was a revelation when it first appeared but Internet Explorer was slow to adopt it so the web world was held back, longer than it should have been.

PNG has been available in FMP for years now.

Run with the supported standard for transparent graphics and make your life easier.

Leave Illustrator to Desktop Publishing and PDFs.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

• 2. Re: Will FMP on Windows ever support Adobe Illustrator graphics?
            jgalt

PNG has been available in FMP for years now.

Run with the supported standard for transparent graphics and make your life easier.

Leave Illustrator to Desktop Publishing and PDFs.

I'm just too lazy. Copy and pasting from Illustrator is much more convenient. Plus I get the additional benefit of copying elements from FileMaker back to Illustrator...and I can still edit them.

I'd rather abandon Windows users.