5 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2012 3:10 AM by Fimano

Dont talk...

wjmartin

Server 10, Client 11 on Mac 10.7: I have a script that speaks a dialogue aloud. With no pattern that I can identify, sometimes it speaks and sometimes it doesent. Has anyone got any thoughts as to why this might be happening?

• 1. Re: Dont talk...
          Fimano

Let's assume the server version is irrelevant. So FMP 11 on Mac with Lion. Same machine? Same dialogue? You could try a speak step in the startup script to see if it is session specific.

• 2. Re: Dont talk...
            jml

I noticed that voices with dialects take several seconds to load initially.  If you do not check "Wait for speech completion…", the script can terminate beforehand.

• 3. Re: Dont talk...
              Vaughan

Is the text being spoken by FileMaker's Speak script step, or is it being done by the OS accessibility text to speach functions?

• 4. Re: Dont talk...
                wjmartin

(Apologies for the slow response - I have been away!)

It is a script step. It is a simple 'double-check' to prevent an irreversable action - the script both displays and reads aloud the record name so that the user is clear which record they are acting on.

The issue is totally intermittant - sometimes it reads, sometimes it doesent. The script is used repeatedly, in quick sucession, as the user works though a series of records. Sometimes FM reads, sometimes it is silent. I cant work out why!

• 5. Re: Dont talk...
                  Fimano

How about the "Wait for completion" - checked or not?