tduell

Container Storge Bug FileMaker Pro 12

Discussion created by tduell on Apr 20, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 12, 2013 by Lemmtech

There seems to be a bug with the new store container data externally, relative to location feature. Your only option that is available for the relative to pop up is the actual database name ([database location]/Files/<FileName>/), which is fine. However, if you change the file name and go in to edit the relative to path you are still stuck with the old file name. Even turning the external storage off, flushing cache, closing the database, quitting FileMaker, etc. and tyring to re-establish the relative path to the correct (new) file name does not work. You are 100% stuck with the original file name in the path. The next thing I did is try to create a new container field. Of course, the same problem still exits, I can only choose the old file name. This could be extremely confusing for people that keep their systems organized in a logical manner -to have a file path that is different than the actual file name.

Therefore, another item that I might add to the wish list is the ability to use the Self function when creating the open storage file path. For example, if I wanted to create universal code to generate an additional path I would want it to add TableName/FieldName/RecordID/ using the calculation below. If the Self function worked the code would look like what I have below in the example and could be re-applied to any container field without having to change anything. However, Self does not work for this calcualtion as the calc engine returns an error and does not let you use it. You have to specify the exact field name. I hate having to hard code values that should be dynamic. Since the calculation is attached directly to the field itself I certainly don't understand why Self doesn't work the same way as the auto enter calc feature.

Let(

[

Path = Substitute ( GetFieldName ( Self ) ; "::" ; "/" )

];

Path & "/" & Get(RecordID)

)

Outcomes