5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2012 8:13 AM by gowa

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer

gowa

My boss asked me an interesting question yesterday; how long would it take to become a FileMaker Certified Developer?

So, I ask the same question.

On average, how long will it take to become a FileMaker Certified Developer?

Thanks

• 1. Re: FileMaker 11 Certified Developer
          Vaughan

Buy the FM Training series, learn it, then sit the test: maybe a couple of weeks.

Had you asked "how long it will take to become a good developer" then I'd have given a MUCH different answer.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 11 Certified Developer
            CarstenLevin

At the moment company has 5 (soon 6) Certified FileMaker Developers.

We do not let our developers attend the test before they have worked with FileMaker for at least 18 months - being part of a team who develop FileMaker solutions.

I do of course agree 100% with what Vaughan writes about the difference between being certified and being a good developer. But you will probably need much more than a few weeks just to pass the test.

To pass the test you really have to understand how FileMaker works and to have a lot of fingertip knowledge regarding database development and FileMaker. I would say: If you have worked a lot with FileMaker, then you could maybe pass the test after using a few weeks with the training series.

But to become a good database and FileMaker developer I would suggest:

Work together with a team of experienced developers. Exchange ideas and knowledge. Present your methods and modify them and learn about conventions and Best Practice.

At our company we are:

• Having "15 sharp minutes" or twice every week with a presentation of a technical/FileMaker relevant issue. One of us who is an expert within a limited area will present and explain the deeper technicalities of a problem or solution.
            • At least once a month we are having technical workshops. First a presentation and then everybody has to come up and present a solution to a problem.
            • We are attending the FileMaker Devcon Scandinavia (we are actually arranging the Copenhagen conference).
            • We are attending the FileMaker Devcon in the US.
            • We are discussing and presenting problems and solutions all the time.

And no project is done without involving at least one Certified Developer.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 11 Certified Developer
              Vaughan

Hey Carstin, your workshop sounds like a great place to work!

I'd also add that every developer needs to (in this order):

build a solution for themselves

build a solution for somebody else and put it into production

maintain a solution built by somebody else

go back and maintain the solution they built themselves earlier.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 11 Certified Developer
                CarstenLevin

Hi Vaughan,

Yes, and the 4 point list you present is actually referring to something not even addressed in the Certification process: The need for Conventions:-) and thereby making sure that we understand the solution when coming back to it or that other developers can work with it.

Having them, developing them and keep using them!

Regards

Carsten

• 5. Re: FileMaker 11 Certified Developer
                  gowa

Thank you all.

I'll pass on your comments to my boss.