3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2012 8:59 AM by beverly

Prevent Portal from entering Find Mode.

inov8pro

FMP12 Advanced

Is there a way to prevent one object on the same layout, in this case a portal, from going into Find Mode when hitting the Find button. I would like the records in the Portal to remain while the rest of the layout is accessable to Find. I turned of the Find for the records in the Portal but I can't find a means to turn off Find for the Portal itself.

Paul

• 1. Re: Prevent Portal from entering Find Mode.
          Vaughan

When in Find mode the database is no longer displaying records. Records in the portal cannot "remiain" in find mode, because records only appear in browse mode.

What are you trying to achieve? Maybe a filtered portal will meet your needs?

• 2. Re: Prevent Portal from entering Find Mode.
            TomHays

When you go into Find mode, the entire FileMaker window goes into Find mode.

I think the only way to achieve what you want is to open up a new window alongside your current one and display those portal records there.

The portal's records in the new window are no longer limited to being in a portal. You can instead display the related records in their own table in list mode.

To avoid confusion you probably should script the find operation (capture the Find button with a custom menu available in FileMaker Pro Advanced).

Navigate to a new layout that does not contain the portal.

Open up the new window containing the contents of the portal.

Navigate back to the first window and enter Find mode.

When the Perform Find action is taken (and Constrain and Extend actions), close the extra window and navigate back to the original layout or a dedicated list layout for the results.

-Tom

• 3. Re: Prevent Portal from entering Find Mode.
              beverly

Or have global fields for ENTRY (except the portal showing what it shows, with NO entry, just a view). when you click a "submit-type" button, the global fields are pushed to the "find criteria" via script to the real table. You aren't in FIND mode at all until you submit. I use this all the time.

Enter Find Mode
              Go to Layout [ real_table_layout ]
              If[ not IsEmpty ( global_first_name )]
              Set Field [ first_name; global_first_name ]
              End IF
              ... (repeat if for each field you want to push)
              Perform Find

Beverly

When you go into Find mode, the entire FileMaker window goes into Find mode.

I think the only way to achieve what you want is to open up a new window alongside your current one and display those portal records there.

The portal's records in the new window are no longer limited to being in a portal. You can instead display the related records in their own table in list mode.

To avoid confusion you probably should script the find operation (capture the Find button with a custom menu available in FileMaker Pro Advanced).

Navigate to a new layout that does not contain the portal.

Open up the new window containing the contents of the portal.

Navigate back to the first window and enter Find mode.

When the Perform Find action is taken (and Constrain and Extend actions), close the extra window and navigate back to the original layout or a dedicated list layout for the results.

-Tom