5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2012 7:07 AM by annettermt

Need Help

annettermt

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me, I am completely new to FileMaker and I want to use it for my massage practice. I have created a Client File where I can keep track of each massage visit and client information from each visit. What I need to do is create a button that will bring up an empty client file sheet for each subsequent visit each client has.

I attached a copy of what I have so far,

any help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!

Annette

• 1. Re: Need Help
          MarcDolley

I think it needs a bit more work than that. What you really need is (at least) one more table in the database. Think of it this way: One client has many appointments. So you should have one table for Clients and one for Appointments. What you have created is basically the appointments table. Add a second table called Clients and include fields such as name, address, contact details etc. Don't forget a Client ID auto-entered serial field. In your current table, change the current Client ID field to just be a number. It's also good practice to add an Appointment ID auto-entered serial.

Then simply link the Client ID field from both tables ensuring that the allow creation option is ticked to allow you to add new records in appointments from the client screen. On your clients screen, you can add a portal to the appointments table so you can view a clients' appointment history.

That's a pretty basic outline, but I hope it helps.

Regards

Marc

• 2. Re: Need Help
            MicheleOlson

Since you are working in FMP12, take a look at the starting solution Time Billing.

It likely does most of what you need and you can edit it further.

Michele

• 3. Re: Need Help
              annettermt

Thanks for the info Marc,

I have been playing around with this all morning.  I should probably stick to massaging because it makes more sense to me!  Just when I think I understand what I am doing in this program, it just doesn't seem to work the way I think it should.

I have bought a book on filemaker 11 and will keep plugging away at it.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Need Help
                annettermt

I took a look at it and the relationships and got even more confused.  The guy who sold me this program said it was easy to use.......Or maybe I just don't see the whole picture yet.  Computers are not my strong point, but I am determined to figure this out.

Will keep plugging away.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Need Help
                  annettermt

Thanks Marc, A good nights sleep and I got it working this morning!  Now to add invoicing!!