Yes, the Troi URL plugin will do this sort of thing for you. You also might be able to use our free BaseElements plugin ( http://www.goya.com.au/baseelements/plugin ) to do the same, depending on the exact requirements.
As to building the script, the plugin calls are made as part of a calculation, so you usually set a field or a variable to a value that the plugin function returns. The details of the calculation depend on the details of the web service you're calling. Is it a public service? If so, which one, we may be able to help. Otherwise I'd download the troi plugin and have a look at their example files.
I finally got things working by building the SOAP-request manually and sending it to the server using Troi URL with a couple of tweeks to the settings. Unfortunately, now I've got a new challenge: the response is UTF8-encoded (I think?) and FileMaker can't seem to make sense of characters like Æ, Ø and Å. Any thoughts on how I can resolve this issue ? I've tried FileMakers ConvertToText and Troi Files ConvertToFmText, but neighter seems to do anything usefull. Any other ideas ?
The only suggestion I can come up with is to use the TROI plugin to write the response to a file, then import the XML. Not sure it will work, but it's one avenue to explore.
The 360works ScriptMaster plugin has modules to use use SOAP and parse the returning XML without having to go through a text file on the machine.
I've integrates with SOAP systems using a couple of plugins. My favorite choice is the FMNexus Web Services plugin, since it saves me a huge amount of work. It requires that the SOAP system designers wrote a complete WSDL for the plugin to read, but if that is ready to use, then the Web Services plugin simply creates functions very like native FileMaker ones, complete with a function prototype telling you what elements to send to the service and gets back the response in a useful way.
As you note Troi-URL gets the raw response that you then have to deal with including decoding and parsing. I have used the Fre 360Works ScriptMaster plugin to handle some of that, since it has both decoding and XPath parsing as functions included in the sample file.
-- Drew Tenenholz
I looked at the ScriptMaster-plugin a while back, but descided not to spend more money on this prosject purchasing plugins. Of course, if it's free that argument goes straight out the window. I'll give it a go and post back when I eighter get things working or get frustrated again : )
The customers IT-department descided that Java should be avoided at any cost, so I ended up building a Custom Function that converts the most used characters in the norwegian language from FileMakers interpretation of UTF-8 to ANSI (Æ, Ø, Å, É, etc.):
Substitute ( Text ; [ "Ã†" ; "Æ" ] ; [ "Ã˜" ; "Ø" ] ; [ "Ã…" ; "Å" ] ; [ "Ã‰" ; "É" ] )